Stone crab traps... - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I will be waiting for my crab dinner invite on the 16th
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

I believe part of it is that the stonies use it as a home during the day and hunt at night. Also since the trap is more closed feeling they feel safer and stay in it per reason #1. The bait is just to let them know it is there.

In any case I have also heard put them out on live bottom, not mud or barrien sand.

Good luck.

CT

I believe stone crab traps are set up with that concrete so they don't get swept away. If you set up a thin wired blue crab trap a mile or two off the beach it won't stay long when a front pushes through. However my buddy uses a blue crab trap inshore that catches a bunch of stone crabs. I'm not sure if the crabs have a preference of traps

I crab commercially and have about 35 wire traps and 25 plastic stone crab traps, wires in the bay plastics off the beach they both catch fine, on a nice week I will run the wires off the beach and they catch about the same as the plastics. The advantage of plastics is 1. They will not move much when the weather gets nasty, and 2. With the throat (entrance) on top the crabs cannot escape.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrfan101 View Post
    I crab commercially and have about 35 wire traps and 25 plastic stone crab traps, wires in the bay plastics off the beach they both catch fine, on a nice week I will run the wires off the beach and they catch about the same as the plastics. The advantage of plastics is 1. They will not move much when the weather gets nasty, and 2. With the throat (entrance) on top the crabs cannot escape.
    Cool. Thanks. I also imagine the bait lasts longer in the plastic ones because fish are less likely to swim straight down (where as crab traps get pinfish, groupers, sea bass, catfish, etc) and I don't imagine they catch any blue crabs. So... bait lasts longer for stoneys to find it.

If you get a trap full of stone crabs will they kill each other like blue crabs will if you don't pull the trap in time? We had blue crabs SO thick last year and I left one just half a day too long and it had any female crabs in there, those mean ladys would kill all the other crabs.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

I fish around 3000 wood and plastic stone crab traps and aprox 600 wire. Wire will catch ok at certain times of the year but the turtles can destroy your gear(they work on the other traps too). The regular stone crab traps work the best for me thruout the season and are faster for my crew to handle than having to shake the crabs out of a wire trap.

I'll address a couple of other things, 1. wire traps with the proper amount of rebar in them and the right amount of rope will fish off the beach in 20-40' with no problem unless you have a strong front move thru.(our wood and plastics will sometimes move 1/3 of a mile).
    2. Pigs feet is good bait as long as the water is warm and the little chewers(pinfish, grunts, etc) are still active. Out of Citrus County I start off with pigs feet and grouper heads and usually around Thanksgiving I switch to mullet(softer, oily). I stick with mullet until the end though I might use pigs feet again in april-may.

Most of my inshore traps have 45-55' of rope(fishing 10-20' of water) and my offshore have 75' (fishing 20-50')
    I do shorten my inshore stuff up for the 10' stuff by tieing a bowtie under the float.
    Your new traps will do just fine, set them on hard bottom until cooler weather unless you got octopus around, then you want soft bottom.
    This place rocks!
    Now

No, they usually don't kill each other bad and neither do the blue crabs, usually the small turtles and blowfish that kill the BC in the traps by chewing off the legs, once they lose their legs then the other crabs and the conchs will eat them.
    This place rocks!
    Now

Thanks man.

I'll be fishing mud flats near rocks and oyster bars in a very protected bay, so I'm not too worried about storms. More worried about theft.

So you want pinfish around when you're using pigs feet? Why is that? Are you using pigs feet when they are around BECAUSE they're around and the feet are tougher than mullet, or are pigs feet only good IF fish are nipping at them. I suspect it is the former.

Do you use a bait cup in your plastic traps, or just toss the bait in the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    No, they usually don't kill each other bad and neither do the blue crabs, usually the small turtles and blowfish that kill the BC in the traps by chewing off the legs, once they lose their legs then the other crabs and the conchs will eat them.
    Maybe your blue crabs aren't as mean as ours. Last summer I would bait two traps, come back 8 hours later and there would be 15, 16, 17 jumbos in there. If they sat longer than a day and half all the big males would be dead and the females alive. There would not be any blowfish in the trap and we don't have any problems with turtles in the bay. Sure looked like the females were killing the males. I ran my theory by a couple old timers at one of the crab boils we had and they said that was exactly what was happening... as though it was just a known fact. I figured between my theory and their reaction that this is in fact what was happening, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Panhandler80; 10-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

No bait cups, tried them they don't seem to work as well, I did go to clambags(mesh bags that clams come in) during the BP scare when we couldn't get mullet, I used menhaden and threadfins in the bag and put the lid down on top of the bag to hold it. They lasted longer than anyone thought they would and my daily bait bill was cut by about 35%.
    Bags caught good, maybe because the bait was still in the bottom of the trap.
    I usually take 1200-1400lbs of mullet per day to bait 1000 traps but with the bags I'd use 800-900lbs of menhaden. bags don't work good at the start though, to many chewers.
    This place rocks!
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler80 View Post
    Thanks man.

I'll be fishing mud flats near rocks and oyster bars in a very protected bay, so I'm not too worried about storms. More worried about theft.

So you want pinfish around when you're using pigs feet? Why is that? Are you using pigs feet when they are around BECAUSE they're around and the feet are tougher than mullet, or are pigs feet only good IF fish are nipping at them. I suspect it is the former.

Do you use a bait cup in your plastic traps, or just toss the bait in the bottom?

Maybe your blue crabs aren't as mean as ours. Last summer I would bait two traps, come back 8 hours later and there would be 15, 16, 17 jumbos in there. If they sat longer than a day and half all the big males would be dead and the females alive. There would not be any blowfish in the trap and we don't have any problems with turtles in the bay. Sure looked like the females were killing the males. I ran my theory by a couple old timers at one of the crab boils we had and they said that was exactly what was happening... as though it was just a known fact. I figured between my theory and their reaction that this is in fact what was happening, but I could be wrong.
    Use pigs feet because they are tougher and stay in the trap longer. pigs feet will last aprox a week while grouper heads are gone in 2 nights(maybe less if the is a lot of little fish), once the water cools down and the little fish move to deeper water then you want a softer, oilier bait.
    This place rocks!
    Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast