Advantages or Shimano Tiagra 80W over Tiagra 50WLSRA
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Advantages or Shimano Tiagra 80W over Tiagra 50WLSRA

I'm looking at getting some Tiagras for Yellowfin Tuna and Swordfishing. I plan on useing 80# Braid (Up for line reccomendations as well). From what I gather it looks like the 50WLSRA and the 80W have the following:

• Both have same drag capabilities at 40 lb max
    • The 50WLSRA has a 3.1/1.3 gear ratio while the 80 has a 2.5/1.3 gear ratio.
    • Both have 80# line reccomendations.

Wouldnt it be more beneficial to have the higher gear ratio of the 50 with the same drag specs as the 80? Is the only real advantage the line capacity? Thanks in advance for yalls input.
    "History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada

Noticed title error after posting, can a Mod correct it to 'of' not 'or'. Thanks.
    "History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada

Well, the lower "high" ratio of the 80 might be beneficial to you for those big fish I would imagine; and the line capacity. I recently investigated the same basic issues, as well as whether to get the tld, or tyrnos for less money. I went with the TLD50LRSA, but my use is mainly for planers/cigars weights trolling for wahoo/mahi/king locally. I think with your application you will want the additional line and lower top ratio of the 80, imo.

I have TLD,s also but you will do better with the 80,s

IF you are only talking night time swording then the 50's are the way to go. There's few fish you'll hook at night out here that you won't be able to tame. If you plan to daytime sword, then you'll need the 80's for the line capacity to get down deep enough with the current.

The bigger thing to consider is if you plan on fighting every sword and yellowfin out of a rod holder or if you will fight them standing up. The reality is that the average sized guy in average physical condition is going to have a hard time fighting any fish with 80's for very long standing up because of the weight of the gear alone, never mind putting 30+ lbs of drag pulling with a fish on the end of the line. Few men can sustain that kind of pressure... I've seen it a million times. The 50's will be lighter combo's overall and they'll be easier to deal with and much more mobile while fighting fish.
    Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !

www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

www.WaterfrontHomesOfFlorida.com

^^^^^What Capt Dave said is good advise. I have done the night time swording in South Fl with the Tiagra 50's and never had a problem (biggest catch was near 275 lbs). IMO, anything over 50's are designated to a rod holder or a chair due to the weight of the equipment. While there may be a few fish that will outclass a 50w. I think the majority of Captains would agree that the 50's are all around the best choice. Also consider this, I have had a double a couple of times and we were fighting 2 fish running in opposite directions. If you have 80's running around the boat will get old pretty quick....come to think of it, it got old pretty quick with 50's lol.

What Dave said was spot on. If you are primarily fishing stand up, the Tiagra 50W's work REAL nice
    and will be capable of tackling the large majority of the swords U hook out there.

I will say sometimes an 80W is an advantage, and on a short-med length bent butt even better.
    (That way you CAN fight a big sword or tuna stand up, OR right from the holder.)

LONG rods on Bent butts are designed for large sportfish / chair and are a PITA to manuever. (IMHO)

I prefer straight butts for balloon baits, but prefer bent butt for sword "tip rod" and wahoo fishing.
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com

At my age i let Rodney do all the work, and i learned my lesson my tip rod will allways be an 80W... I have been trashed twice on my TLD50's