Fly Reel Build - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fly Reel Build

tight work ,you got know your ***** to do that.

Freefly, the strongest reel foot-to-reel mounting connection that I have ever seen, was on the original John Emery reels. The thing was actually keyed. You slide the foot onto the reel sideways, until 2 screw holes line up. Apply screws.

John gave me an extra foot, before he died, but the danged thing was not drilled and I do not know if it is even possible to line up new holes.

Very interesting thread. Please keep us updated. I like the keyed foot idea. I had an old penn fly reel that had one screw strip when I tightened it.

I can't wait to see the finished product. Shoot I may even commission you to make me one lol

Time enjoyed wasted usually means I've been fishing
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time

Never would've thought about the keyed fit idea. Thanks for the heads-up! Right now I'm planning on using two #8 screws to secure the foot to the frame.

So this is the latest progress; roughed out the profile of the foot on the mill, then had to make a mandrel to hold the foot in the lathe.

Then set the taper attachment to 8 degrees per an AFTMA reel foot drawing I found online.

I also finished milling the frame and mocked it up with it sitting on foot. I haven't milled the radiused contour in the foot so it's sitting pretty high in these pics. I also messed up with trying to mill the upper and lower frame ears that cover the spool and act as the attachment point for the foot. They aren't exactly 180 degrees opposite of each other. I'll need to work on a better setup for milling these features. Here's a pic of the parts thus far.

Here's the retrieve side mocked up.

Here's the frame side mocked up. I still need to make the drag adjustment knob.

Looks sweet man. Can't wait for the finished product

Great work. You should also post this on the reel making forum.
    www.reelsmithing.com
    Life Is For Service

That's an ambitious project and a nice looking job. Congradulations.

One thought about mounting the reel foot if you have not yet drilled for it is that you may want to offset it towards the frame side so the reel will hang plumb when the rod is loosely held in the hand. The frame side will likely be quite a bit heavier than the spool side.

The Tibor Gulfstream, for instance, is way heavier on the frame side, so they have offset the reel foot towards that side. The spool edge to reel foot edge is 0.840". The spool edge to frame edge is 0.440" a difference of better than 3/8".

There is another advantage, for me, to that setup besides just balancing the reel that I didn't realize for quite a while.

That reel is called upon to crank in lots of backing that needs to be wound onto the spool relatively level. With conventional gear (right-hand), the line can be pushed to the right with the thumb and pushed back left with the index finger.

With fly gear and a big fish on, this technique doesn't work well for me at all, so I use my index and middle finger and it is much easier with this technique to push the line to the spool side than pull it to the frame side.

So the Tibor offset reel foot makes this way easier. Just a thought if you make yourself a big reel.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Last edited by clampman; 10-03-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Any more pics ?

I've made some progress but not much. Just made the spool knob and the drag knob. The drag knob is way too big, I need to figure out a better design to slim it down. I'll try to get some more pics later this week. Gonna try to finish the spool counterweight tonight. Also waiting on some hardware from McMaster Carr.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast