Best place to find reel parts?

Florida Sportsman

Question Best place to find reel parts?

So I decided to sit down and clean out all my reels yesterday.
    I was going through my set of Stradic 4000 FG's
    Of the 8 I found 6 of them had melted friction rings Shimano Part #6132
    Doing a google search I could only find that it was discontinued.

you can call shimano direct in California 877 577 0600

minnows and monsters in tampa and bett's fishing center in Largo have parts also.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Aggressive View Post
    Doing a google search I could only find that it was discontinued.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Shimano. 5 years after they discontinue a reel, they stop supporting it. That's one of the main reasons I will never buy a Shimano reel again. I had a Sustain that they no longer supported and threw it in the trash.

Good luck on your search.

PS You may want to go to the Shimano Manufacturers forum on FS at http://forums.floridasportsman.com/f...php?77-Shimano and see if Bantam1 can find your parts

Rob, the place that should have the parts you need is Dave's Parts and Service in Holiday, FL. Their number is (727) 942-9731 and they've been one of my suppliers for many years. The thing to remember about "discontinued parts" is that the manufacturer is no longer importing them - that doesn't necessarily mean that one or another of their authorized (or some tackle shop somewhere...) service centers doesn't actually still have the exact part you need.

Jack, I agree with you about Shimano (and have a nice collection of older Stradics that I haven't been able to get pinion gears for....). Shimano isn't the only outfit with these kind of problems. Since many, if not most popular reels aren't made here anymore.... whether to support them with parts that aren't particularly profitable.... might not be a decision I'd want to make.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Quote Originally Posted by lemaymiami View Post
    Rob, the place that should have the parts you need is Dave's Parts and Service in Holiday, FL. Their number is (727) 942-9731 and they've been one of my suppliers for many years. The thing to remember about "discontinued parts" is that the manufacturer is no longer importing them - that doesn't necessarily mean that one or another of their authorized (or some tackle shop somewhere...) service centers doesn't actually still have the exact part you need.

Jack, I agree with you about Shimano (and have a nice collection of older Stradics that I haven't been able to get pinion gears for....). Shimano isn't the only outfit with these kind of problems. Since many, if not most popular reels aren't made here anymore.... whether to support them with parts that aren't particularly profitable.... might not be a decision I'd want to make.
    Bob ,just a heads up, the place in Holiday was sold to Tampa Fishing Outfitters..I'm not sure if they will stay in the parts/repair side of the business..Jack may know.

Fisherman's World/Daves Parts and Service was sold to Mr. Lee, the owner of Tampa Fishing Outfitters and Lee Fisher Int'l on July 31. Mr. Lee changed the name to Tarpon Fishing Outfitters and it is where I am currently employed. I work there Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Tarpon Fishing Outfitters will continue to do reel repairs and be a parts supplier as well as a first rate tackle store. Dave retired and is doing some traveling. His grand daughter, who was raised in the store and been employed there for the last 15 years, continues to run the parts department.

Thanks for the heads up Jack... I've been a customer of Dave's for many years - but always by phone... I had planned on stopping by their shop on my way north in a few weeks. Glad to hear that some of the same folks are still there. I've relied on Dave's for years - do you know if they'll be issuing another rod components catalogue?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Bob I do not know if a new rod component catalog is in the works or even in the future. I do know we continue to order and stock rod components. I don't know the volume of rod components we ship as, for the most part, I'm in the front of the store helping walk in customers selling tackle and rod tip repair.

Capt Rob

Check your IM

Kel's in orlando, fl has parts for penn, shimano, diawa, okuma, abu. Kel's rod & reel Svc