Frog gigging

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frog gigging

Frog gigging

Give me some tips on finding, seeing, gigging, and cooking the little guys legs.

Went last night for the first time ever. Right as it got dark I went to every eye shining and they were all gators. Bugs were all over my headlight so I started heading back towards the ramp. Finally realized I'm not looking for something as bright as a gators eyes. Started seeing them here and there and though the 3 largest of the night got off the gig, I finished with 12, the longest being around a foot long.

Seemed the later it got, the more I saw. My son had a good time even though he was asking to go home about the time it got dark. He was seeing too many gators and he said it just felt creepy being out there.

Gators, call troy on swamp people he will get them

Don't see many bullfrogs now, but we used to row crop them back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Some people say the cattle egrets has hurt the population. I don't know.

Sauteed in butter, lots of garlic and white wine is all you need to know about frog legs.
    Be careful and do not overcook.

Oh yeah, a crusty baguette to mop up the sauce.

A nice salad or some vine ripe tomatoes, sliced over buffalo mozzarella cheese with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
    "What a sad commentary on our society that people can't listen or read and process the information simply as it is presented. Instead, too many hear or read based on what they want/don't want to accept based on their own biases."

Micheal Knight

Deep fried is pretty good too.

I see you're still in your 40's. ;)

About mid fifties or so, you start moving away from that stuff.
    "What a sad commentary on our society that people can't listen or read and process the information simply as it is presented. Instead, too many hear or read based on what they want/don't want to accept based on their own biases."

Micheal Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ferris1248 View Post
    I see you're still in your 40's. ;)

About mid fifties or so, you start moving away from that stuff.
    I got a head start. ;)

look out for snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grew up giggin, being the younger brother it was my ace that always ended up in the gunk on the front end of the boat while ol fat cat was runnin the motor. Many a time had scares of my life...

was super awesome fun though. As I remember we ate the legs fried...taste like chicken
    It's an honor just to pretend its an honor to be nominated...

Sebastian, Kissimmee, Saint Cloud, Louisiana, All Over
    Look for the white bellies.

Quote Originally Posted by 001 View Post
    Look for the white bellies.

yep. On a good size frog you will see the white belly from a distance more than the eyes. We don't go until 11:00 or later when it gets dark around 9 or after. Gives them time to get out in full force. Poll or trolling motor. In ponds their on the edges and easier to get vs a lake (to many places for them to hide). Rivers are fun too. You can also use a bream buster with a small peice of white sheet on the hook dangled in front of them. As mentioned watch for snakes in trees if you have to get under a limb. I fry them.
    Confusion will lead to understanding, if you allow it to…

Don't major in the minor things in life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast