Gaspesie/Laurentides 16th-29th

Florida Sportsman

Gaspesie/Laurentides 16th-29th

I just returned home after attending an SQFA event in Gaspesie (Quebec province), and thought you guys might appreciate a few pics of something a little different. Fishing wasn't that great on the Matapedia/Mitis rivers while I was there due to the water levels being so low and it being so late in the season. Out of 70 anglers there for the event, only 14 fish were landed over the weekend. I did get to meet some colorful individuals, with Bob McKenzie, Dave Bishop, and Pierre Merceau there for various clinics. My guide for the weekend was Guylaine Roland, who had been guiding on the Matapedia for atlantic salmon since he was 16. Very cool guy who was so bummed out about the NHL lockout that I told him to scram and go bust a cap in a moose the 2nd day (it was opening weekend for moose, and all of the guides were there voluntarily that weekend to help out with the SQFA mentorat). I hooked one salmon in the 12-15lb range that came unbuttoned at the net on a #4 bomber.

Matapedia pics.

Mitis river pics.

A sunset on the gulf of St. Lawrence.

After a day of much needed sleep and lots and lots of food, we made the drive to Laurentides, and stayed on a lake with no name somewhere in the vicinity of Mt. Tremblay. The first day I caught 44 smallmouth by 3pm, and it never slowed down (I was there for 5 days). No slobs, but too many fish to count in the 17-19" range. The lake was loaded with monster lake trout, but I brought nothing in the way of sinking lines and a bottom finder is pretty much a necessity.

Low tech as hell, but it works.

Average sized smallmouth, and they ate every fly I put in front of them.

I have some good pike pics that I haven't been able to track down yet. I'll post them when I find them.

Beautiful place, sounds like a fun week. Looks cold though.

General Fishing Administrator Docked Wages's Avatar
    Sounds like an awesome trip!
    Mark Wilson

Great pics!

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2013 Ankona Native SUV 17