Near shore sanibel reef help

Florida Sportsman

Near shore sanibel reef help

I was wondering if anyone had any reports about mays reef or sanibel causeway reef activity. What kind of fish are there, what bait to use ect. Older or new reports would be great. Or any info on other near shore reefs to try. I live near punta rassa and fish off a 17 poling skiff ( which does not take waves well) . Thanks for any help

This time of year you can expect to catch Spanish mackerel, trout, snapper(lane/mangrove), small grouper. There may still be a few lingering snook. Also kingfish can be nearby. As for bait use: cut thread fin, ballyhoo, live shrimp, and small live pinfish or pilchards. Chumming can be effective to help turn on the bite.

May's Reef is best hit in the middle of the week or try and be there first on the weekend , have stick baits ,bright colored jigs , and spoons ready for macs , kings , and cobia they will be on top . Captsnook is spot on for bottom fishing tips , but he forgot the best bait for cut out there is lady fish . For instant action just poke out and look for the birds , run up to them and start catching

The causeway reef is good too, and if you can trailer your boat to the co-op ramp in st.james , I would try to get to paces place.. been there on a calm day in my j-14 skiff. They are both about 5 miles offshore and you can find them on any marine gps with a florida blue chip in it . Or look up florida reefs on google and there will be a web-site on where all the reefs are located. Bring shrimp and squid if you can't use a casting net. If you can, catch some greenbacks and use a yo-zuri to catch your cut bait(ladys and mackeral). Hangon , have fun and most of all be safe out there.