Something different (Quebecois smallies)
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Something different (Quebecois smallies)

Had a fantastic 2.5 weeks in all parts of Quebec. Stayed with freinds just outside the city of Montreal, then made the drive 10hrs to the Gaspe peninsula to drift bombers for atlantic salmon on the Matapedia/Matane/Mitis rivers. Waders were a new thing for me, but it really wasn't as cold as I thought it would be. I was attending an event put together by the FQSA (Quebecs Salmon federation), and I was the only american of the 70 anglers in attendance. The Quebecois were beyond freindly, and I never felt like a stranger even though I don't speak french. The rivers were pristene, the food was fantastic, and we put in 10hr days chasing these salmon. I also got to got scout moose with my guide on the 2nd day, buut we didn't find any (did find a badger, funny story about that). Anyway, the water was at a critical stage, and being so low they had poor numbers of fish in the pools further up the river. Out of 70 anglers, only 14 salmon were landed. I caught some large brookies (they call them seatrout), but I didn't land a salmon.

Mitis River pics-

Stopped to take a picture of a sunset on the gulf of St. Lawrence.

We drove back to Montreal to recover for a few days, then we headed north to Laurentides. We stayed at a cabin on a lake with no name and caught smallmouth until our arms hurt for 5 days straight. Imagine bluegill on steroids (and growth hormone), they were super agressive and ate pretty much everything I threw at them. They were in deeep water, and I could see them suspended above rocks in 20-30'. Lot's of fun on light fly tackle. Landed a few in the 20"+ category (which I'm told is a benchmark for big smallies). Anyway, a couple pics for you. I caught between 40 and 60 fish per day, and if I'd had a bottom finder I would have done some fishing for the monster lake trout the lake was known for.

My super-duper low tech skiff for the week.

A fat smallmouth.

If you're ever in the area, you should definately pick up a bottle of this too.

Should have known you were going up there to fish.. Great pics and report ,whiskey with maple syrup ,sweeeet !

Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Should have known you were going up there to fish.. Great pics and report ,whiskey with maple syrup ,sweeeet !

It was a great trip. Met alot of fantastic people, ate alot of incredible food, drank alot of booze, and smoked a few cuban cigars, the fish were a bonus.

And snails, don't forget the snails....LOL

That looks awesome ! Canada fishing trip is a bucket list item for me. I fished Canada once in Alberta but not the fly in type of deal. That bottle would have looked good at the bash ..
    Those Smallies would do just fine ..
    "You'll get your weather"