Osead Marine Mahi

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OSeaD Marine Mahi

Went out early friday morning in search for the green and yellow, and no Im not referring to the Green Bay Packers.So I hit up Ashley baits and loaded up on baits.But as soon as we got to the cut I said we need more bait.So Manny casted a couple of nets and caught us some nice small sardines to finish blacking out the live well.As soon as we got passed the cut I knew it was going to be a good day.The waters looked very fishy.So we get to 400ft and there was this long line.One of those lines I haven't seen since the early 90's.This thing was so long it wasn't even funny.So we decided to start working the line from North to South.We were the first ones on the line until I noticed a charter boat working the line from South to North.So after a long while we finally meet somewhere in between.The other boat was hooked up with a couple of fins.So as we kept our distance I see one of the fishes dash from the other boat and hit one of our lures hard.Fish-On..... So after reeling in the fish it wasn't very large only 27in.The other fish that followed were small as well.So I noticed that the other charter boat was still hooked up with various fishes so I decided to just let him stay there working that skool. I don't do that type of fishing.So we wave at the other Capt. and move on to deeper water.Around 800ft I see a bunch of diving birds going at it with the skipjacks on the surface.We decided to just keep moving.After we reach a local hot spot I see this small patch of sargas. We pull up to it and Bingo this small mahi comes up to the boat. He looked like a loner.So I tell Manny shut the engines off. Now...lol This is where things get good. Anyone who knows me knows I try to do anything possible to catch fish. So I reach into our drinking cooler and pull out a gallon of Sunny D and take off the cap and took a sip of the juice and just dumped the rest overboard.My brother and Manny looked at me like wtf....I thought you brought that for us to drink?They say.I just laughed and said nope its for the Mahi.By the time we finished our conversation about the juice the boat was surrounded by Mahi. I said lets fish. They asked me where did I learn that at? I just laughed. This was like catching my first Mahi all over again due to the fact that this was my brothers first Mahi skool. I've taken him to numerous tourneys and just plain Jane fishing and he never gets to see them in a frenzy. He's one of those guys that has that species bad luck curse like some folks never seem to catch that elusive fish.We caught our limit in 31 minutes taking our sweet time.I knew it was going to be one of those be back at the marina by noon type of days. All the fishes were from 24in to 27in we only caught 1 peanut that was tossed right back.Good day on the water.

Last edited by ultraplayer26; 09-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Nice job getting your brother on the hot bite...my mom is like your brother, she hasn't seen the dolphin in a frenzy!!!

Thanx.. It's weird huh? when I first started my curse was the wahoo.. But then again who's isn't.

Great job bro

What a great day. Congrats!

Thanx guys. Just wished someone was around,there were enough fish for two more boats to catch their limits. I made a couple of calls but no one was out there that I knew.

OK I will be the one to ask..... why dump the sunny D?
    College...... the best 7 years of my life! I will miss fishing 5 days a week!

Quote Originally Posted by snooknreds2 View Post
    OK I will be the one to ask..... why dump the sunny D?
    Ok I read it in a australian forum a while back.Have tried it numerous times when the fish didnt want to bite and its worked.Theres been other times I didnt have the juice aboard and wished I did. Scientifically I dont know what it is that gets them in a frenzy but it does.I did some research a while back and the only thing I can think of is since fishes see only dark or light shades and not color,was that the sunny d in the water looks like blood a bit. It gets that light brown color similar to that of a fresh chum bag in the water.Other than that

Good job man.

Quote Originally Posted by hofcharter View Post
    Good job man.
    Thanx brotha..tight lines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast