awesome "florida sportsman" weekend (gators and snook)

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

awesome "florida sportsman" weekend (gators and snook) 9/9

I was lucky to have pulled a gator permit for STA 1phase 2 and my buddy Jeremy (fishaddict) knew a few honey holes so we (me, jeremy, my dad) headed out saturday and Sunday mornings to try to fill our tags. Got an 8' right off the bat saturday, a good eater, and cleaned him. Had a blast. Wanted to head back out Sunday morning and be "picky", only going for a 10' +. We got lucky, and the first one we hooked up, right at sunrise, ended up being our monster.Fought him for about an hour on hook and line and finally brought him up and jeremy got the perfect .44 mag bang stick kill. Taped out at 10'5" and estimated 450 lbs. Such a blast to hunt, and even better to be successful...
    Me hooked in

So I got home from the STA at about 10, and my wife and daughter were hungry so we headed up to Jims place in Jupiter for breakfast, and then over to Jupiter jetty beach to play in the sand with my 2yr old. While we were there, I grabbed my calcutta out of the car and started tossing my x-rap, not expecting much as there were literally a hundred people in the water, and even more on the beach. But the snook were THICK and showering glass minnows like I have never seen in my life. This is happening at high noon with a hundred people in the water. IT was insane. 30"+ snook are jumping and flipping all the way out of the water. I hooked up with a nice 30" and wrestled her to the shore for my first slot fish of the season and much to the delight of the crowd around me. Had no tackle box, cooler or anything, so we shoved her in a shopping bag for the ride home! All in all an AWESOME weekend for this "hunter gatherer". So blessed! Thanks for reading! Pics to follow...
    Ice

Last edited by onICE; 09-09-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Nice report. I like the snook in bag. When I was a kid I use to put fish in my pockets. Never 30" fish though. Is there anywhere to buy gator tail or through restaurants only?

Catching a slot snook when least expecting it is awesome. Must have been nice for you guys to see them busting on the bait too even if you didn't catch a keeper.

Serious gator and sounds like you hit the snook lotto!
    Way cool to nail a slot mid day w full on beach crowd!
    USCG Licensed Captain
    Offshore & Bahamas Fishing Guide for Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.
    Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    e-money99@live.com
    http://www.bluemarlincove.com

Nice lizard

Very cool on the slot snook.....still lookin' for my first of the season

Nice Gator!!

I was out on the same night at the STA's! Got me this 9 ft 9 in gator.. Going back out this friday, but like you said... Going to be picky for a 10+!!

Good job on the catch!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  
    2002 25' Seacraft
    2002 39' Midnight Express
    1989/2009 Seacraft (Sold)

Great job!!! I wish I got tags this year.....always next i guess.
    Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186
    Book an inshore or offshore charter in Stuart Florida with....
    http://www.bitenholdcharters.com

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."

Thanks guys! We got 40 lbs of meat off of the 8' gator and the bigger one we sold. Not sure of anywhere to buy gator tail but I have a ton of meat if you are interested let me know I'd be happy to give some away.

Quote Originally Posted by Teasem View Post
    I was out on the same night at the STA's! Got me this 9 ft 9 in gator.. Going back out this friday, but like you said... Going to be picky for a 10+!!

Good job on the catch!!
    Nice one! Sta 1? That place is crawling with em...Goodluck this weekend! We have two more tags for sta 5 but I think we're gonna wait til October...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast