SLI Offshore 9-8-12

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SLI Offshore 9-8-12

Got an early start with Zach (FLDXT) and was at bulllshark at sunrise not much happening in the way of bait.. managed a few small dines & gogs not worth hanging around for, shot out to Shrimpers and that was an improvement, managed some decent dines and cigar minnows. While bringing in a stringer full, Zach has a cobe come up and commence to helping Himself to the struggling baits on the Sabiki, turns out 3 more were with em. they lost interest before we could get on them, but came right back with the next haul of the sabiki. They were acting a little picky and as I was trying to get the biggest of the bunch I hooked up a 6" blue runner to try and eliminate the smaller ones. After a few tries I was able to get him to bite, gave him some time and set on him... had him comin in and the hook pulled . That went on for several more minutes with them eating our baits but we just could'nt get it done. Zach did briefly hook one up on a jig but lost it as well, there was also a bunch of snake kings in that area skying on baits. Ran straight to PBH and put out 2 Daisy chains and Rapala X rap 20 and started the troll. Was'nt long and had a double header of the smallest BFT's I've ever seen. Reset and doubled up again.. one on the chain and one on the Xrap, this time they were decent size... boated one and lost the other. Had several short strikes and the occasional missed fish over the next few minutes then we got into some schoolie phins. The bite shut down after a while, so we decided to run deep. In 600' we saw fish bustin on top that were either some kind of tuna or bonita but as the boat got close they went down and we had no takers on the livies we had out so kept heading east (any ideas what they might have been?). We were in about 900' when we heard Always forward on the radio said he was in 1300 on some good phins on tree. we kept heading east hoping we'd find some debris of our own and after awhile we see a boat on the horizon, turned out to be AF so we eased up and kept our distance and were watching them catch fish. AF hollered at us to get over there and get in on the action .. (really appreciate that Jeff) so we did.. long story short we picked up several trying to be selective and target the bigger slingers. Zach got a really nice cow out of the bunch. After things slowed down we started seeing some smaller slingers again and we watched them for a while and Zach says, "I cant take it anymore" baits up and gets on the bow. I was cleaning up the boat when I hear Zach yell.. big dolphin, then proceeds to pitch a bait to it with the smallest rod he had . He fought him for quite a while but we were finally able to get him boatside and gaffed. We were a long way from SLI by now and started the long trek back. Great day out there...been a while since I've seen that much life around. Nice to meet face to face with others on the forum as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SLI 1.jpg   SLI 2.jpg   SLI 3.jpg   SLI 4.jpg  
    Last edited by FISHHUNTR; 09-08-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Nice report, sounds like an action packed day!

The fish on the surface way out were small blackfin's.

Thanks MH.. I was leaning towards that as I've not known bonita to be out that deep... shoulda stayed off em and slung a waxwing at'em.

Looks nice out there. When i checked Magicseaweed and windfinder it was calling for 3-4. I should have gone out
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

Dang ya'll killed it, congrats.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......

nice catch

Nice days work guys.

Your very welcome FISHHUNTR... Here is some pics and video for you... We had a blast on the tree all day long. Will post a report shortly. After we left there we spotted a patch of weeds about the size of a dinner table. We stopped to sabiki up some baits for the trip back in. Cal puts out a bait and FISH on.. We had seven big gaffers around the boat and got two of them into the boat before they split...

Enjoy the pics and short video below:

CLICK PIC BELOW TO SEE QUICK VIDEO IF ZACHS FIGHT

Give us a shout out there anytime your out and if we have located the bite, your more than welcome to join in guys...
    Last edited by Alwaysforward; 09-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Nice mess of Fins I like the fact that there are some out there. Thanks for the report.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast