Saltist Big Game 30 2 Speed- pair of lemons?

Florida Sportsman

Saltist Big Game 30 2 Speed- pair of lemons?

This past summer I fished in the Keys as a captain with the Boy Scouts of America taking kids from all over the country out for a day of fishing. Instead of using the 6/0s and TLD25s we were given, I bought a pair of the Daiwa Saltist Lever Drag Big Game 30 2 Speed reels at the beginning of the summer and they performed great... for the first couple trips. Without putting any amount of unreasonable stress on them, washing them after every day of fishing and backing the drag off, they have both become a pain in the *** to work with. With one of the reels, the clicker broke after the first half dozen trips, clicker switch sticks hard, the drag sticks, the head on one of the clamp bolts sheered off and when I try to put it in free spool, it feels like there's a few pounds of drag. On the other reel, the free spool is even worse, one of the clamp bolts sheered off (again...), the 2 speed button sticks when I press it and the drag sticks just as much as the other reel. Another thing I noticed with both of the reels is that when I'm reeling them in fast (clearing lines and whatnot) they sound like they are going to explode with high pitched pings. I know the Boy Scouts are tough on stuff but I was so disappointed with the performance of these two reels that I hung them up and started using the set of TLDs and 6/0 I was given. I got these reels specifically for fishing with the Boy Scouts because of the line capacity and 2 speed capabilities but I'm somewhat regretting my purchase.

I've also got a Saltist 4500H spinning reel and absolutely love it. It's laughed at everything I've thrown at it and then ***** slapped the fish as they swam off. The quality of my 4500H is what really persuaded me to get the conventionals.

Perhaps I got a pair of lemons but for $389.00 a piece (MY money, not the Boy Scouts) I would sure hope not... Is there anyone at Daiwa that can help me with these reels?

Nothing?

My equipment got stolen recently, so I'm in the market for new (to me) equipment. I just had lunch with a good friend who is an avid fisherman. This guys lives full-time in Miami and has a place in Key Largo. He owns a 32 SeeVee. I had TLD 25s and just purchase one. He told me to get a Saltist b/c it can withstand more than just dolphins, like Wahoos for example. In fact, I found your post b/c I put Saltist in the search box. Now I'm not sure if I should just get a few more 25s. Anyways, point is he swears by them!

Quote Originally Posted by rapchizzle View Post
    This past summer I fished in the Keys as a captain with the Boy Scouts of America taking kids from all over the country out for a day of fishing. Instead of using the 6/0s and TLD25s we were given, I bought a pair of the Daiwa Saltist Lever Drag Big Game 30 2 Speed reels at the beginning of the summer and they performed great... for the first couple trips. Without putting any amount of unreasonable stress on them, washing them after every day of fishing and backing the drag off, they have both become a pain in the *** to work with. With one of the reels, the clicker broke after the first half dozen trips, clicker switch sticks hard, the drag sticks, the head on one of the clamp bolts sheered off and when I try to put it in free spool, it feels like there's a few pounds of drag. On the other reel, the free spool is even worse, one of the clamp bolts sheered off (again...), the 2 speed button sticks when I press it and the drag sticks just as much as the other reel. Another thing I noticed with both of the reels is that when I'm reeling them in fast (clearing lines and whatnot) they sound like they are going to explode with high pitched pings. I know the Boy Scouts are tough on stuff but I was so disappointed with the performance of these two reels that I hung them up and started using the set of TLDs and 6/0 I was given. I got these reels specifically for fishing with the Boy Scouts because of the line capacity and 2 speed capabilities but I'm somewhat regretting my purchase.

I've also got a Saltist 4500H spinning reel and absolutely love it. It's laughed at everything I've thrown at it and then ***** slapped the fish as they swam off. The quality of my 4500H is what really persuaded me to get the conventionals.

Perhaps I got a pair of lemons but for $389.00 a piece (MY money, not the Boy Scouts) I would sure hope not... Is there anyone at Daiwa that can help me with these reels?

Looks like I'm never buying another Daiwa product again.

Yeaahh, They never responded to my complaint either.

Just came across this post.....PM me and maybe I can assist.

I just got the reels back in the mail today. Jaime helped me once I was able to get ahold of them. Daiwa replaced the broken parts and repaired the reels for free.

If anyone has any problems with customer service, shoot me a PM and I can give you the email of the fella who helped me out.

The reels will not free spool once again. I do not forsee myself buying anymore Daiwa reels ever again.

Here is an excerpt from the Fin nor manual.

Using the lever drag
    Now that your drag is set, here are a few things you need to know before using
    your reel:
    1. Once the “Strike” drag position is set, you should not adjust the pre-set knob again until
    making significant drag range adjustments. Keep in mind that the drag at strike can vary
    depending on the difference between the temperature when set, and the operating
    temperature during usage. To be sure, it is a good idea to re-check the setting after the reel
    is used and warmed up.
    2. To let out line, move the lever all the way back until it hits the “Free” spool stop position.
    From there the drag will gradually increase as you move the lever forward.
    3. Once you have moved the lever forward until it stops in the “Strike” position, you must
    press the strike release button to move past “Strike”. You do not have to press the button
    to return below strike.
    4. The maximum drag with the lever in the “Full” position will depend on where the
    “Strike” drag is set. The higher the “Strike” drag setting, the higher the drag will be with
    the lever in the “Full” position. Be aware that as you continue to increase the pre-set
    knob, at some point you will not be able to get free spool anymore when the lever is
    moved to “Free”.

I was able to duplicate the loss of free spool on my Shimano Tyrnos 30II and my Daiwa LD30T 2-Spd by over tightening the drag.
    Could this be your problem?

I have found my Saltist to be very reliable and would buy another without hesitation.

Let us know if this helps.