Matlacha 9/18

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Matlacha 9/18

Cape Coral, Matlacha, Pine Island, Sanibel

Matlacha 9/18

Today I met with John Delgado at 6am at D&D Bait and Tackle in Matlacha around 5:45am. From there we headed over to Matlacha Park, loaded up the kayaks and launched into the dark and headed North to one of my favorite flats in the area. We arrived at the south end of the flat around 6:30 just as the sun was starting to make its appearance above the mangroves.

Immediately we were greeted by mullet being busted at the surface by hungry redfish. I started throwing my trout pattern Zara Spook in hopes of getting one of these football sized reds to slime the yak early on. We had a few blow ups but no takers. About 30 minutes later a hungry dolphin arrived on scene and made short work of all the fish in the area so we moved on and headed north. We paddled up to an oyster bar that usually produces a solid number of quality fish. John tossed his chrome colored spook and got blasted by a pig of a trout.

A few casts later another quality trout made an appearance and landed himself in the cooler.

We fished for another few hours landing a few more trout, ladyfish, a monster sail cat on topwater and a jack before the wind kicked up and we headed in. All in all it was another great day on the water.

Nice report. Thanks