Housebreaking an "adolescent" dog - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not that this helps, but I adopted a border collie a few months back. She absolutely will not go to the bathroom on a leash. I don't know what trauma she had prior to me getting her, but it is frustrating to say the least. I have to put her in a fenced area where she will go to the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC543 View Post
    It's simple. Until the dog learns that she can't pee in the house, you have to be with her every second she is in the house and not in her kennel. EVERY SECOND. On a leash. When she does start to pee, you stop her and take her outside. You have to do this EVERY TIME she tries to pee until she learns she can not pee in the house. The fact that she has already peed in the house has made your job that much harder.
    This. ^^^

Use Nature's Miracle to thoroughly clean where she peed.

Banned
    exposing idiots that encourage entitlement
    giver her water and food then after she eats take her outside, when she goes praise the heck out of her. if she goes in the house just tell her bad girl, don't hit her and don't put her nose in it.

I had one dog that would not get the hang of it till I peed in the yard, he then took a pee and I praised the heck out of him. never had a problem again

This is a very simple fix....
    This is a COMMON problem in both pet store dogs and shelter dogs.

Forget about blocking off and gating part of the house.
    And FORGET about any corrections, negativity, and do your best to get rid of any frustration you are having. I know it can be hard. But any negative re enforcement will only prolong the problem.

Then....

Simply take away her choices.
    She stays in the crate.... You take her out of the crate straight outside, on a leash. Give her ample time, to do her business.... If she doesn't, she goes straight back in the crate. Keep the intervals short.... Take her back out in 45 minutes or so....

Sooner or later she will go... and once she goes ONE time, you are home free.
    As soon as she does go, she gets to come in and have free time in the house. About 30 minutes or so at first and you can lengthen the time as she builds reliability....

And for the person that has a dog that will not go on a leash....
    Do the same thing....

Something that will help.... IF the dog is up to date on all shots, take her to where other dogs do their business. Her territorial nature will help her go....

Her bladder will not burst.... And her colon will not explode.... If she has two choices, she will choose outside...

Banned
    Take her outside with you and take a crap in the yard where you want her to go. She will learn that's what you want,it may take a few times though.

I took her for a walk tonight and she finally did both outside. I praised her, pet her, gave her treats. Hoping this won't take long, there is a lot of other training I want to do.

I have only had this dog since Sunday and I absolutely love her. Amazing dog.

Quote Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
    I took her for a walk tonight and she finally did both outside. I praised her, pet her, gave her treats. Hoping this won't take long, there is a lot of other training I want to do.

I have only had this dog since Sunday and I absolutely love her. Amazing dog.
    You broke a training threshold.... It should improve from there.

Johnny, I know you do not feed your dogs regular dog foods but what are your thoughts on Wellness brand varieties? I picked up a grain free bag of Wellness yesterday but am a bit concerned about the high protein content so thinking of getting the regular Wellness. Not sure what's worse, grains or high protein.

Quote Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post
    Johnny, I know you do not feed your dogs regular dog foods but what are your thoughts on Wellness brand varieties? I picked up a grain free bag of Wellness yesterday but am a bit concerned about the high protein content so thinking of getting the regular Wellness. Not sure what's worse, grains or high protein.
    I like Wellness fine...... I would not worry about the high protein.... High Protein plus grains is not good... But if you get rid of the grains, you get rid of the carbs.... It changes everything....

IF I was not feeding raw, I would be feeding a high protein grain diet....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12