"Guana Bite" swordfish report 8/18-8/19

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Guana Bite" swordfish report 8/18-8/19

Had a great time Saturday night/Sunday morning on the "Guana Bite". Thanks to Captain Kevin and first mate Darryl for having me and Brian along to try our luck at the Swordfish grounds. We dropped baits in the water way south and setup drift for a long, long, sleepless night. Around midnight we had a good bite on the short/deep rod but couldn't manage to hook that fish up. We dozed and listened to satellite radio until sunrise when the short/deep drag sounds again. Darryl fed him some line and tried to come tight but no fish. About a minute later another sharp bite on the middle length/depth rod and I was standing right next to it. I slid the drag into free spool and let him play with the bait for awhile until he started steadily running with the bait so I locked her down and cranked like mad. Came tight to something that resembled the fight of a 2 gallon bucket. I reeled and reeled for 5 minutes and the fish never took an inch of drag. Finally, we can see the light coming up and the rod quits gaining line. The fish jumps and everyone yells "its a swordy"! I guess he woke up (and so did we at that point) because the fun ensued. He took a couple hundred feet of drag, came to the surface and jumped and sounded a couple more times before coming boatside where he was clearly a legal fish. We were unsure of the weight because we were too tired to stop at Comanche to weigh him but we guess around 80 pounds, 56" from bottom jaw to fork.

What a great trip and a blast of a crew. Kevin really has that 32' Regulator dialed in and setup right which makes for a much more pleasant trip. Twin 350 Yamy's, tricked out electronics, tons of storage space, top notch gear...great times.

Get out and catch one guys! They're biting as we heard Ms. J announce on the radio they got a nice one too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	464 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	46254
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swordfish 8-19-12.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	46253
    Beau A. Baker, Esq.
    Attorney at Law, Fisherman at Heart
    Ph# 904-798-7301
    Fax# 904-358-1872

Congrats to the crew of Guana Bite, and Capt Kevin!!

Good work guys, glad your able to get one!

Nice job guys.

Thanks for the report Beau! Thats a pretty fish!

Great job guys!!
    "Life is like a metal stud wall. Once you've laid your track, it's just one stud at a time. Until you're hung and finished."

Nice Fish!!

Well done Beau!
    Eric S. Vaughn
    Mandarin FL Native

17 Sea Boss CC
    90 Mercury FourStroke EFI

Ponte Vedra (Palm Valley) & Cedar Key, FL
    Nice sword! That's a phenomenally tasty fish! Glad everything worked out for a great trip. In talking with Kevin it sounds like the weather was pretty comfortable. My wife & I saw you guys coming through Vilano about 9:20 a.m. just behind Ms J (we were on a pair of jetskis going for breakfast). Figured you guys were swording. Glad it worked out. Thanks for the report & photos!
    Brian

Congrats Beau, way to get tight sucka!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast