NNOA wrong again
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

NNOA wrong again

Sat. 18th, Well the forecast was 8 mph and seas 1-2's morning chance of T. storms, look like a good day to head out for some bottom bump'n offshore, so mod. larrywitt and I, after propping and checking out his twin Vee engines and electrical system, because its been out of the water for a few months getting new bottom paint and engine maintance work done, launched the Cat out round 10:30 am or so out of P.I. Weather before we launched was next to no wind and overcast, and alittle light rain. By the time we motored to the causeway things had picked up a bit, by the time we hit the light house, it wasn't looking great and by the time we got about 1-2 mls off shore we were in 3-5's with a 6' footer every once in a while. We proceeded onward with the Cat handleing it OK at about 9-10 mph figuring once we get into deeper water it'll get alittle better. We were only going to a spot 13 mls of shore. Well, that didn't happen, we were in for a long roller -coaster ride to the spot and it wasn't gonna be great trying to fish in that mess so we called it, and went back to the Sanibel reef figuring we'd drift a few passes and maybe by that time it would lay down a bit. It was probably noon by that time and we tried 4 or 5 drifts for about 45 mins in that slop and called it again. On the way in we set the hook by the causeways 2nd span bridge and gave that a shot.....nope, however the boat next to us about 150-200 yds away jumped and boated a nice young poon around 60 lbs or so. Well last stop...theres a couple little mounds not far from the bridge on the sound side we've been checking out, so we made that our last stop. Oh well, nana.. was a good day all and all, ( for me, any day I'm not at work and on the water is good ) got the Cat propped, boat check out and put to rest back in it's slip, by 3 pm. Ready to go for the next offshore adventure. Oh , hey Scott !, you would have enjoyed this one!....Not
    Last edited by tileman; 08-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.

You should know better ha ha , the weather has been bad for us all , send me a pm if need any extra crew on one of those offshore trips got #'s , trade ya for a inshore trip

Yes the good part is the Twin Vee is ready to roll..
    larrywitt

same today..... 5-8mphs, 1 foot seas, we went out of big carlos to fish about 4 miles out and it was 3-4 with an occational bigger wave.

yea whats up with that! we need a weather bouy out in this area none for MILES out, go figure, for the amount of boating traffic ya think we have one fairly close

Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    You don't know, if you don't go.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse

We did the same thing. We had very ambitious plans of a deep drop trip. Stuck our nose out and bailed on that idea until a nicer day. Then the storms all came in an it was nasty all day long. Until brighter days...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

I dont look at the wave forecast anymore. I look at the wind forecast and make my own wave forecast. If there is any west in the wind direction and wind predicted 10 knots or higher its going to be snotty. 5-10 knots its questionable. Light variable winds, maybe ok.
    I cant tell you how many time the forecast is 10 knots out of the n/w and been that way or worse for several days but the wave forecast is 2' or less. You go out and its 2-3' with a 3.5 second wave period and that will be uncomfortable in most boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    I dont look at the wave forecast anymore. I look at the wind forecast and make my own wave forecast. If there is any west in the wind direction and wind predicted 10 knots or higher its going to be snotty. 5-10 knots its questionable. Light variable winds, maybe ok.
    I cant tell you how many time the forecast is 10 knots out of the n/w and been that way or worse for several days but the wave forecast is 2' or less. You go out and its 2-3' with a 3.5 second wave period and that will be uncomfortable in most boats.
    Same here , but I add the tides in aswell , if the wind is going a different way than the tides forget about it , unless you have a big boat . The days that are slick for miles is when the tide and the wind are the same , morning and sunrise . And for the last 5 weeks the wind has been all over