EBT abuse!!! - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EBT abuse!!!

Cad not being a grocery store very often, that's funny.
    I think he owns one.

We are interested in how our tax money is spent, I am anyway. I akin the use of food assistance to buy unhealthy and convenience foods to the highway department buying multiple cameras for an intersection or decorative bridge concrete.
    Waste is waste, no matter who is doing it or how and I am concerned about it all.

I am also concerned about how this tax money is being raised, IE. lack of jobs creation and that so many jobs were allowed to be taken offshore, never to return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid Row View Post
    In most places, just a mile beneath the crust, the earth is several million degrees.

A squid is the stupidest animal on earth, they line up in rows.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBobBryant View Post
    Both you and cad...act like this doesn't happen and that all these stories are made up...
    This indicates...you either never go to the grocery store or there are no poor people where you live...
    Can you say Boca...

I see examples all the time...

Families...with kids in tow...mom on her iphone with here gold (presumed to be real) on, kid on the DS...
    Little if any food that requires effort and cooking (I call this healthy food)....
    Always 2 carts....one for the stuff allowed and then the other stuff....

They usually load their "purchases" into a newer SUV of some kind.....

THis is not 100% of the cases....but it is significant enough to believe...that more monitoring of our tax dollars is required...

I wish people were as interested in how our tax dollars are being used (and maybe abused) as they were in someones money that they earned.
    I took my girl to Chops Lobster Bar last night and did not see one person using an EBT card.

What needs to happen is the elimination of "CASH ASSISTANCE"....cash is mobile, fungible and untraceable...and should not be used in any form where it is taken from one and given to another for pure sustenance...too much abuse....
    what needs to happen is photo ID at time of purchase at least, and make it easier to report fraud etc.
    i cant believe how hard it is to report **** like this and HUD abuse.

can only be used for those purchase and NO CASH BACK.
    think the cash part of the EBT depends on what types of assistance the people are getting.
    Like other forms of aid...there should not only be an income level requirement, but assets too....
    Like in Bankruptcy people are forced to sell things like expensive cars, boats...etc.
    they do. but it can be worked around just like... bankruptcy. :P
    I have a friend in GA that just got custody of his son.
    my friend is physically disabled from injury, his woman is disabled, they need the help that assistance provides.
    but since my buddy got injured on the job, he got a settlement and some back pay.
    biggest thing he did was give his old unreliable gas guzzling vehicle to a needy friend, and he went and paid cash for a new smaller more efficient honda civic.
    he needed reliable transpo for all the physical therapy sessions and Dr appointments, its not like hes driving an Escalade with spinning rims and etc. BUT he is getting denied food assistance based on that much needed vehicle.

Allow them credit for a certain level vehicle, say 15k and anything over that must be sold or traded, before assistance is available...
    its not as simple as that but I think that's about how it is.
    IMO, if its paid for it shouldn't even figure too heavily into the equation provided that its not over the top (like a new expensive sports car or BMW etc), in a lot of cases getting rid of a vehicle that's paid off would cause more expense than it would save, almost always worse off getting rid of a house whether its paid for or not... rent is expensive. but again that depends on the house.
    really no black or white to the asset problem, no easy answer to any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fins4me View Post
    Should they have the time to go the the lake???? NOOOO they should be busy trying to find work so they do not have to be on the stupid EBT card!!!!!
    sure, if they are actively looking for work or whatever i don't see the harm.
    MORALE is important, and you cant pound the pavement all the time.
    maaaaan I've been unemployed for far too long, but i keep looking. filling out applications and doing interviews but never getting anywhere. selling blood plasma for some extra cash, etc.
    it gets depressing, its why people kill themselves over stuff like this, I've been close a few times but getting into a video game for a little while or going fishing helps get me through it.
    some people may not realize just how mentally exhausting and frustrating it all is, I've had trouble getting jobs in the past too but NEVER this difficult and it has never taken me this long.

everyone deserves a break or some relaxation in their lives, some fun.
    if that means keeping the TV, internet & phone connected while they get foodstamps im not going to *****.
    should they be tooling around in jet-ski's at a resort in mexico for a couple weeks? buying lots of booze on a regular basis? smoking weed and clubbing? no, definitely not.
    but driving to the beach or camping for a weekend is good for you, mentally and physically.
    Last edited by MaL; 08-19-2012 at 10:28 AM.

First- Story was real as witnessed by ME last night.
    Second-They appeared to be a couple,,, not sure if married
    Third-Saw no kids or sign of kids.
    Forth-If they can afford to buy beer and smokes they should not be getting any assistance.
    Fifth- If they are a couple then there is no excuse to be getting assistance while having both a boat and truck in the parking lot
    Last-- The amount of money they spent on the junk food could have gone MUCH farther if it was used to buy bulk food and produce.

in addition both appeared to be healthy so unless kids are involved they should recieve no EBT assistance.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"

HuntressJax
    Both you and cad...act like this doesn't happen and that all these stories are made up...
    This indicates...you either never go to the grocery store or there are no poor people where you live...
    Can you say Boca...

I see examples all the time...

Families...with kids in tow...mom on her iphone with here gold (presumed to be real) on, kid on the DS...
    Little if any food that requires effort and cooking (I call this healthy food)....
    Always 2 carts....one for the stuff allowed and then the other stuff....

They usually load their "purchases" into a newer SUV of some kind.....

THis is not 100% of the cases....but it is significant enough to believe...that more monitoring of our tax dollars is required...

I wish people were as interested in how our tax dollars are being used (and maybe abused) as they were in someones money that they earned.
    It happens all the time. Fraud is like terrorism, if you dont treat it like a 5 alarm fire then they will be in your living room stealing everything you have. Fraud cost the American consumer 25% of everything they buy and causes insurance premiums to inflate by 25% to cover the cost (NICB 2004). The idea of tolerating it in the food stamp business to keep retailers alive is at best and politely stated, foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I'm surprised they used cash for the beer and cigs, if your story is real. Sorry, but a lot of these always sound alike and I have doubts when I read one. I would have guessed a credit card for the cig purchases.
    I believe him. One of my wife's co-workers works at a supermarket and this happens regularly. Some get mad when the cashier won't let them buy beer with their EBT cards. The stories will make you sick.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I can tell you what was going on by your description. They bought the EBT card from a relative or friend who needed cash. Probably 50c on the dollar.
    Happens alot too. Sometimes they don't really need them, but they know how to play the system. I spent two years teaching in the ghetto. While there are plenty of kids who genuinely need the help there are alot of others who abuse the system. Kids would ask me for $5 and promised to pay me with food stamps the next day, or sell me the left overs on their card for half price. Once of my wife's co-workers told her that she could apply for WIC even though we didn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Sabatage View Post
    I do not know the qualifications for food assistance
    To receive Food Stamps in Tennessee:

"Work. To receive food stamps, most able-bodied people between 16 and 59 years old must register for work, participate in the Employment & Training Program if offered, accept offers of employment, and cannot quit a job. Able-bodied adults without dependents aged 18 to 59 can receive only a limited number of benefit months in 3 years, unless working 80 hours per month or otherwise determined exempt from the rule.

Resource Test. The asset limit is $2,000 for most households and $3,250 for households containing a member who is disabled or 60 years of age.

Income Tests. http://tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/fs-test.pdf "

TN requires a family of 3 to make less than $24,096 GROSS per year ($2008 per month) to qualify for food stamps. NET maximum is $18,540 per year ($1545 per month) for a family of 3.

I'm glad I don't qualify for food stamps in Tennesee. It looks like they have a pretty good set of requirements in place.

I believe Fins, because he usually doesn't post BS. but I see a lot of people make crazy claims about EBT users. Like they late drive late model SUVs, own designer clothing, and $5000 Rolex. Most of these are flat out exaggerations and lies.

As mentioned, I own a convenience store and accept EBT. I see these people every day. there is the one or two that don't appear in need and I get those who want to buy unauthorized products with EBT, but I can assure you 99% of them that come into my store are not driving late model SUVs or wearing designer clothes. Most are working one or two minimum wage jobs and trying to survive. I would bet 30% of my EBT customers walk to the store.
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid

I did not address Fins comment about junk food. I will have to agree that most EBT users I see are buying junk food or pre-made cold sandwiches. Only about 1% actually buy a healthy food item. They could get a lot more value for their benefit than many do.
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid

Quote Originally Posted by HuntressJax View Post
    It happens all the time. Fraud is like terrorism, if you dont treat it like a 5 alarm fire then they will be in your living room stealing everything you have. Fraud cost the American consumer 25% of everything they buy and causes insurance premiums to inflate by 25% to cover the cost (NICB 2004). The idea of tolerating it in the food stamp business to keep retailers alive is at best and politely stated, foolish.
    BS, I am in retail. The national average for retail goods is less than 5%. No retailer would be in business is it was 25%

The only data I can find on insurance is $200 to $300 a year in additional premiums. That works out to about 10% or 15%, not 25%.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast