2013 E-Tec 225s: XD-50 ($20/gal) vs. XD-100 ($30/gal) Is it worth it?

Florida Sportsman

2013 E-Tec 225s: XD-50 ($20/gal) vs. XD-100 ($30/gal) Is it worth it?

I see Evinrude wants me to use XD-100 in my new 225s at 50% more $ than XD-50. Is it worth it?

You do not HAVE to use XD-100 in your E-TEC as long as the dealer did not reprogram your engine to the XD-100 setting. All E-TECs come from the factory set to use any Evinrude oil or any TC-W3 certified oil. Check with your dealer to be sure.

XD50 oil has the best balance of protection vs. cost. If you have an HO model and/or use your engine at high speeds often, then use the XD-100 for best results.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

Wow dolars a gallon sounds real good. My dealer sells it for $45.00 a gallon.

Please tell me where I can get XD100 for 30.00 a gallon. Its about 36.00 on the low end.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Native View Post
    I see Evinrude wants me to use XD-100 in my new 225s at 50% more $ than XD-50. Is it worth it?
    With the huge price tags of those 2013 225s, what's a few bucks more for the best protection possible? I'd go for the XD100, IMO.
    German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.

XD 100 In the lower Keys Sea Center in Big Pine $33., Murrey Marine, Stock Island $47.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

XD100 all the way.

The issue I have with xd-100 is that Evinrude won't disclose it's contents besides being fully synthetic. For all we know Amsoil or Pennzoil's marine full synthetics could be even better.

I keep my motor on 50:1 (xd-100 not required) and use the full synthetic Pennzoil that can be had for $30 /gal.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    The issue I have with xd-100 is that Evinrude won't disclose it's contents besides being fully synthetic. For all we know Amsoil or Pennzoil's marine full synthetics could be even better.

The issue I have is that Amsoil and Pennzoil do not disclose their ingredients or the formulations of their various oils. For that matter, neither does Yamaha or Mercury with their lubricants.

If you can get those companies to give you the specific contents and the proportions in their lubricants in writing, please let us know and post the results here.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

find a large dealer and ask if they will sell it in bulk to you (ie you bring a large can and they will fill it out of their 55gallon drums)...mine does...way less than the prices quoted above too.