First Kayak...First fish...First red

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Kayak...First fish...First red

I recently purchased a new Hobie AI. Wow, what a blast. I've been fishing offshore three times now and I guess the third time's a charm. A little background...I grew up fishing in the Keys and other South Florida spots and have come to love offshore fishing. I recently came across the sport of kayak fishing and dove in head first. What a difference. I'm finally starting to get the hang of outfitting lightly, transport, etc. Well, up until last Sunday, I didn't have to worry about how to fight a fish from a kayak b/c I'd been skunked the first two times out.

We went out of Canaveral National Seashore and caught a little live bait and I had a large spoon and a pogie rapala. I chose to use the spoon for most of the day as no one was really getting hit on the live bait except for an occasional shark. About 11am we're all talking and I told them that at some point I would like to go fish the river as I've never caught a redfish before. Actually, I've never really targeted that type of fish before. Now that I had a kayak, maybe it would be worth it to catch one.

Not three minutes later I hook into this. What a blast. I'm hooked for life now. But I think I'll still stay offshore for pelagics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	45368
    Last edited by palmbeachpete; 08-19-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Congratulations Man! That looks like quite the setup you have going on. Are those pontoons on either side?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSals View Post
    Congratulations Man! That looks like quite the setup you have going on. Are those pontoons on either side?
    Yeah is a Hobie Adventure Island trimaran. the boat is awesome. Has a sail and lets me troll at higher speeds.

That is a trophy red.. and for a first from new kayak its a hell of a catch .. Nice !

Congrats man. Seriously nice rig, and WHAT A FISH!!!!

Wow nice boat. Awesome Red. Congrats!

That is an incredible red! Recently landed my first from a kayak as well...but it was barely slot size. Definitely gets addictive regardless of how big they are though!

Let's get out there again this weekend, bud! Headed to Bass Pro later this week to re-up on some stuff.

Nicely done! Even for a gator fan! Makes me want a Hobie that much more.

-TK

"If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining"

That's a quality redfish man! Congrats!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast