Different Shades of Flamingo

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Other Side of The Everglades

Fishing in Flamingo has been nothing short of excellent and will continue to flourish throughout the remainder of September. One of the most special parts of Flamingo is the huge variety of different fishing opportunities available. One day you can focus on poling the shallow flats of Garfield Bight for Redfish and the next you can fish for Cobia and Permit on the wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico. There arenít many places in Florida where you have so many different options to choose from but in Flamingo we arenít complaining.
    During the later summer months you can find anything from Gag and Goliath Grouper to monster Snook, Cobia and Redfish off of the wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico. Due to recent hurricanes and tropical storms many of these coordinates have changed completely and some of the larger wrecks have even broken into multiple wreck sites. Although locating these coordinates can be challenging, the reward can be some of the best nearshore action available in South Florida. Cobia can be found exploring the surrounding waters of the wrecks and will often follow up smaller fish from the bottom but seem to be much more abundant in the Gulf during the cooler months. Permit have been very active on these wrecks and have preferred live shrimp over their usual favorite, live crab. Also found on these wrecks are some of the biggest Snook and Redfish in the park and they have a preference for a live baitfish such as Pinfish or a Pilchard. The wrecks can be an excellent alternative to the usual stalking of the flats and can present some new species that are rarely targeted in Flamingo.
    Another alternative to the usual activities that Flamingo offers is a very tasty one in Tripletail. Tripletails offer some of the best table fare I have ever experienced and are fairly easy to catch in Everglades National Park. These fish hang around structure like channel markers or even floating debris and are usually actively feeding when there is a slight current moving in and around the structure. Tripletail will very rarely turn down a well placed live or dead shrimp on a circle hook. An excellent place to target these fish is off of the crab trap buoys about 2 miles off the gulf coast. The commercial fishermen place miles of these traps and they offer an excellent environment for the Tripletail.
    Getting back to basics, the Snook, Redfish and big Sea Trout are still very active along the gulf coast and in the skinny waters of the bights east of Flamingo. When the sea grass is not an issue top water plugs like Rapala Skitterwalks can be deadly in the early mornings and late afternoons. If your treble hooks continue to foul up switch to a weedless spoon or jerkbait and cast in to mullet schools or nervous water. Snook and tarpon are still present along Cape Sable and have been munching pinfish like you wouldnít believe. Temperatures are extremely hot so focus your efforts on low light periods when water temperatures are more stable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PicsPlay_1344891052605.jpg   PicsPlay_1344937305895.jpg   PicsPlay_1344889773724.jpg   PicsArt_1343666978781.jpg   PicsPlay_1343865013991 (1).jpg  
    Last edited by Pucker Factor; 08-19-2012 at 10:09 AM.

here we go again with the wanna be "not Licensed Guide" Non Report Advertising everyone one of your So called reports post are Advertising for your

"Non Licensed So Called Guiding"

there are actual guides "That pay for Advertising here". They're Lisenced, Insured, Yes they acually pay taxes, etc etc

your simply a boat owner charing people illegally to fish.

Mod's will make the call "hopefully"

bring the flames I welcome them

How do you figure he's not licensed from reading his reports??

probably knows him...i would agree with Austins on this one. I stopped reading when i felt like i was reading a book lol. This is not a report.

MOD should move to general section....to top it off he leaves an email at the end lol

honestly his reports suck, and always seem like a 1 minute commercial with recycled pictures. The regular members post much better reports from flamingo.

Hes the MuttonMan of Flamingo.

It's a new Vertical

Hialeah can be the MuttonMan of Hialeah Ditch Canal fishing
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Hi - Sooo....if I was to charter, or recommend ya, can you please let me know if you are a licensed, insured and ENP permitted guide? Thanks!

Soooooooo, what did you catch?

somebody should email him a virus

Pretty sad how some of you guys act on such a good resource for fishing in Florida. Just wanted to post a report of some recent action in Flamingo and possibly give some advice to some amateur anglers so they can bust some fish. Never meant to offend any of the "vip" forum members by leaving an email address.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast