1000 islands is really ticking me off!!!!!!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member SpaceCoast Slayer's Avatar

1000 islands is really ticking me off!!!!!!

not sure what i am doing wrong out here... cant seem to get these fish to eat at all.. there is absolutley no shortage of them, i just cant get them to cooperate for anything! its not often a red turns its nose up at a live jumbo shrimp is it? i havent heard of it happening but my last two trips its happening to me alot.. i dont know if theyre seeing my canoe and shutting down or what.. saturday i saw at least 20+ reds cruising the shoreline.. out of the 20 or more, i got one to eat.... even on those good shots that land 5-10 feet in front of them, they just wont take.. theyll even swim right around the shrimp.. its like WTF???? today, i saw at least 50.. and not one taker.. theyre not very big fish, mostly upper slots.. i got countless good shots off in good position but NOTHING. im not sure if it was because today was cloudy and they needed the sun to stimulate thier metabolism? i fish alone, so i have to work the push pole to get the boat into position and get a good cast off by myself which isint very easy but i have been managing, and making some good shots.. can't see why they wont hit a frickin live six inch shrimp!!!! the water im finding them in is super shallow, prolly a foot or less, and very very clear which i know makes them paranoid from the get.. but out of all those fish you'd figure a few would eat right? it must be something i am doing.. if they are 15-20 feet from the boat, is that too close for thier comfort? it has been cloudy on both my trips, making it so they do have to be closer to be spotted.. another theory of mine is that as you all know 1000 islands sees a helluvalot of kayaks, canoes, and boats.. maybe they just have better instincts than most other reds? OR maybe i just suck!! anyone else have this problem in this particular area? any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks yall

you better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

that was the first thing i tried, to no avail :(

Try fishing with cloths on backwards. It worked for my son on Sunday.

not a bad idea... last week i cut my hair into a big nasty mohawk... it works when they do it on deadliest catch... no such luck for me

Are you sure they were reds they could have been black drum. When they are schooling like that Black drum can sometimes look like reds. Sucks when fish wont eat a shrimp but a lot of times black drum can be picky eaters. Maybe they were reds but this is the time of the year for the drum to be on the move. Black drum will usually eat a clam or a stinky old piece of dead shrimp.

most definently reds.. no mistaking, that water is so clean.. you can see the blue on the tails, the spots, the red tipped fins.. the sun came out for like 15 minutes today where i was and that shoreline was just covered with em

Banned
    Get out there earlier like just before first light. I've had the bite shut off by 9am sometimes. Also make sure you twitch the shrimp when the red is near and bite the tail off.

And yeah, I'm sure 20' is a little too close. Double it unless you're staked out and they're coming to you. An areator running is a no-no also.

That's all I got.

Buona Fortuna

One more thing: Throw a fluke/ DOA/ paddletail at them. If that doesn't work, mix it up with other arti's you've heard recommended here.

i was out there so early i had to moor the boat and wait for more light :( i mainly fish artificial, and the weekend before last they just weren't having it.. so many perfect finger mullet out there its insane.. thought i'd try live bait and see what happened.. those DOA paddletails are awesome tho.. nice and cheap as well.. i love the rootbeer with a chartruse tail! maybe thats what it will take, like you said.. a little more action and movement.. thanks!

Stomp a mullet and let it soak out there for 20 minutes a redfish is bound to pick it up eventually.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast