I found the reds

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I found the reds

I've been on vacation this week. My camping trip at little talbot last weekend got rained out so no beach fishing. I made it out Tuesday to fish the rocks at vilano. We didn't catch much but we saw some tarpon airing it out against the rocks but we couldn't get em to eat. I took my daughter fishing Thursday to west chicopit. Its hard to find the fish with a 6 yr old in the boat. We saw a big school of dolphin with some babies jumping out of the water. My daughter loved that and we watched em for about an hour before we got pushed off the water by a storm.

Today me and a couple buddies launched at sisters creek and went down to the dames point to try to get on some bull reds. I'm pretty new to fishing the deeper water in the river so we were just kindof feeling it out. We only managed a couple of yellow mouth trout....

At slack low tide we headed back to the sisters creek area to try to find em back on the creeks. We found a school of red reds feeding on a flat as the water was comming up. While we were catching those my buddy was soaking a piece of cut mullet on the other side of the creek when his reel starts screaming. After a nice fight he lands this 30 incher.....

That storm moves in but there wasn't any lightning so we fished through it and it paid off with this 27 incher...

After that we were on to them and I hooked this 26 incher....

We still had one guy that hadn't caught a big red but the next storm was a lightning storm so we had to split while they were still biting. We brought home these guys plus a couple of trout....

The trout hit the grease as soon as I got home....

I have to go back to work tomorrow so I'm glad we finally got into em. Fitting end to a nice, lazy staycation.
    -Jon

Nice report. We were out there today too - browns creek area and under the dames point bridge and didn't catch anything worth keeping - a few ladyfish and an undersized flounder. Glad someone had some luck!
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl.

I was out there too, started around dames point then went to clapboard but didn't have any luck either... just small yellowmouth's and a few lady's
    The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

I think I saw you guys, we launched from sister's creek ramp around the same time and I saw you fishing in the middle of the river by dames point

Great fish! Thanks for the report.

Jason

Way to find them guys. Got to love when you can get on a good school like that! I cant wait to get home and get back on the water.

great report

Quote Originally Posted by JaxAngler View Post
    I think I saw you guys, we launched from sister's creek ramp around the same time and I saw you fishing in the middle of the river by dames point
    I think I saw you leaving... you were in the Century boat right? We were the three fat guys in the stumpknocker.

The day was topped off when we got back to the boat ramp, I met capt Vic and got to chat with him for a few. He is the president of our chapter of the RFA and I podcast his radio show every week. Nice guy and he has a lot of local fishing knowledge.

Speaking of which... I'm still not real good at the deep water river fishing. I'm a bait fisherman mostly. This summer I picked up a couple of heavier (30#) setups to catch some bigger fish. I watched Steves video about how to tie the rigs that he fishes with out at the jetties. I tried that and also a fishfinder rig with a 3oz egg sinker. I dropped half a crab, cut mullet and shrimp down but we didn't get alot of bites. Should I be dropping down in the channel or near the bridge pilings. Is slack or near slack tide better because of the heavy current. Any of you guys has have any tips to shorten the learning curve? My PB red is 33" and I hope to increase that in the next few months.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jizzo View Post
    I think I saw you leaving... you were in the Century boat right? We were the three fat guys in the stumpknocker.

The day was topped off when we got back to the boat ramp, I met capt Vic and got to chat with him for a few. He is the president of our chapter of the RFA and I podcast his radio show every week. Nice guy and he has a lot of local fishing knowledge.

Speaking of which... I'm still not real good at the deep water river fishing. I'm a bait fisherman mostly. This summer I picked up a couple of heavier (30#) setups to catch some bigger fish. I watched Steves video about how to tie the rigs that he fishes with out at the jetties. I tried that and also a fishfinder rig with a 3oz egg sinker. I dropped half a crab, cut mullet and shrimp down but we didn't get alot of bites. Should I be dropping down in the channel or near the bridge pilings. Is slack or near slack tide better because of the heavy current. Any of you guys has have any tips to shorten the learning curve? My PB red is 33" and I hope to increase that in the next few months.
    No, I was in the Key West boat to your left side when you were fishing right in the middle of the river by dames point.... we didn't fish far from each other for about an hour. I think that was your first stop. Then you guys moved to where we were.

We didn't stay there for much longer, we ended up going back to clapbaord and then whiteshell but no luck at all....

Yeah, we kinda followed you guys up near the bridge. We tried to hit the mouth of mill cove but got nothing. I don't know much about fishing that area yet so I just watch what other people do. I'm gonna find me some good spots around there eventually.
    -Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast