Shark Hookers 2012 Season (thus far) - Page 4

Florida Sportsman

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    This is awesome!! I have relatives in Longboat Key, are there sharks like this to be caught there from the beach too? I get there often and I have the bonnet heads figured out on the flats, and have caught a few 2-3 footers on the beach, but never targeted anything larger. Can I do this? If so is anywhere on the beach the same? If not, what do you look for? What time of year is best? Sorry about all the ?'s! Congrats on your catches!
    Looking at that location, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to catch large sharks on the Gulf side. Take a look at Google Maps and see if there are any sandbars. I didn't get a chance to check that out. If there are sandbars, anywhere just in front of or just beyond them should be prime shark territory. If there aren't any sandbars, then look for darker areas on the map that represent deeper water. Prime time for sharks on this coast tends to be late May into early October, but you can catch them any time of the year.

Here's what I'll say about sharking, though. If you go after the big boys, you truly need to have the right gear. Not only for your own safety, but for the well-being of the shark, as well. Study up, get the right gear, and study how to handle/de-hook/release the sharks properly. That will make for a better time for all involved!

Quote Originally Posted by perlman1234 View Post
    Do not do that!

Now, thats funny right there.... eligilble for a Darwin Award AND screaming like a school girl, lol!

Oh I definitely know I would need a whole new setup if I try for them! I really appreciate the info and am VERY impressed with your catches! Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    Oh I definitely know I would need a whole new setup if I try for them! I really appreciate the info and am VERY impressed with your catches! Nice work!
    I will happily pass that onto my team, thanks so much. Please keep us posted on how you do or if you have any other questions. I don't claim to know it all by ANY means, but again, I'm more than happy to share the experience/knowledge I do have.

This was from a couple weeks ago. The stronger west wind made our first two spots nearly impossible due to how rough the water was (for the west coast, ha) so we ended up going to our last resort spot. At least we could kayak the baits out there. Didn't have much hope, but then something hit our 9/0 with the mono (so mad, haha) like a bat out of hell. I hooked it and landed the only shark of the night. My long-time nemesis; the lemon shark.

looks good! Have you considered tagging these sharks? I received some tags from NOAA and they were very happy to send them to me. Im fishing gulf side for them, and so far i've managed to get a couple nice 6' lemons.
    Limited Out Fishing Team

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Limitedoutfishingteam

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
    2006 28 Contender w/ 2013 Twin Yamaha f200 4/S (Stolen)

Sweet beach hammerhead action!!

A Kia Huge THANK YOU to everyone for helping this post gain 3,000 views!

I would actually love to start tagging sharks. The only reason I wouldn't is that my team is so focused on landing/releasing it as quick as possible, and adding one more task to that may slow down the process. I guess it can't hurt at least trying, though, right?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234