Shark Hookers 2012 Season (thus far) - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This might seem like a stupid question, but I dont shark fish so I have no experience. How do you get the hook out of his mouth without getting bitten? It seems like everyone pulls the sharks head back but this puts your hand about 6 inches from his teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    This might seem like a stupid question, but I dont shark fish so I have no experience. How do you get the hook out of his mouth without getting bitten? It seems like everyone pulls the sharks head back but this puts your hand about 6 inches from his teeth.
    Do not do that!

That makes sense...kayak.

One of the great things (for us) about sharks, they don't have legs or necks so their ability to lunge forward and/or up is very, very limited when you're on top of the shark. Your hand will always be in danger if it is to the side of and/or under the mouth. However, if you have your hand directly on top of its nose or head, it cannot flip its head up/back to bite. If you have your hand far enough in front of its mouth, it cannot lunge forward. It's all about being smart and careful. Know each species of shark and their individual range of motion, and you will be fine.

Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh, those nurse sharks would do nicely on the table!!!

Thanks man. I am usually fishing with my 3 boys and that information is very helpful!

Man I can never get over those hammerhead dorsal fins. Definitely an amazing site to see....as long as you are not offshore swimming

Thanks man. I am usually fishing with my 3 boys and that information is very helpful!
    Feel free to ask anything you want, I'd be more than happy to answer. I don't claim to know everything by any means whatsoever, but I'd be glad to share what has worked for me and our team throughout the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by perlman1234 View Post
    Man I can never get over those hammerhead dorsal fins. Definitely an amazing site to see....as long as you are not offshore swimming
    Completely agree! Each hammerhead we caught, we saw the dorsal come out of the water and our stomachs all dropped, haha. It's such a rush and exciting feeling. The only thing I can compare it to is when we caught our tiger and first saw its stripes when it broadsided us swimming parallel to the shore.

This is awesome!! I have relatives in Longboat Key, are there sharks like this to be caught there from the beach too? I get there often and I have the bonnet heads figured out on the flats, and have caught a few 2-3 footers on the beach, but never targeted anything larger. Can I do this? If so is anywhere on the beach the same? If not, what do you look for? What time of year is best? Sorry about all the ?'s! Congrats on your catches!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast