Life is Good in the Glades

Florida Sportsman

Life is Good in the Glades

The weather has been extremely hot but the fishing in the Park has been really good with a lot of quality fish landed in the past week. The best time to focus your efforts during the late summer months is definitely early in the morning and late in the afternoons. Fish are certainly more active when water temps are cooler and will be much more open to chasing an artificial lure during these times. Justin Guzman and I decided to venture out on some numbers for wrecks of the coast and ran into some Gag Grouper and Snapper but nothing spectacular. After blazing around Florida bay all morning we returned to some reliable spots that have produced some incredible summertime fishing. On a recent trip my guests caught several double headers on quality Snook as well as a fish up to 37 inches. It seems as the fish are stocking up in certain areas so once you find a couple fish there are probably several more around. I highly recommend using a little heavier tackle because these larger Snook don't get so big by being dumb. They slurp down your bait and head directly for the structure. In order to prevent these fish from being lost I use a 30lb spinning outfit with a 50 lb fluorocarbon leader. The Redfish, Seatrout and Snook have been available on the flats east of Flamingo and the Snake Bight areas. Topwater plugs have been very effective early in the morning when water temperatures are low. We also jumped a couple 100 lb Tarpon on Rapala Skitterwalks in less than 18 inches of water which was quite a sight. Sharks are absolutely everywhere and can provide some good battles during slow periods in the tide or when you cant seem to get on anything. Life is good in the Glades right now and the fishing will continue to be excellent. If anyone is interested in learning the waters of Flamingo or would like to enjoy some of the best Snook action in Florida feel free to contact me. Scottbrown483@gmail.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 014.jpg   PicsPlay_1343865192046 (1).jpg   015.jpg   PicsPlay_1343865013991 (1).jpg   029.jpg   PicsPlay_1343865096983.jpg   016.jpg   019.jpg   023.jpg   007.jpg  

Man I love catching snook. I mostly offshore fish in the gulf because they are closed till next year. Are they closed over there in flamingo? Maybe if I get a day off Ill drive down there for that. How much does it burn you a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by perlman1234 View Post
    Man I love catching snook. I mostly offshore fish in the gulf because they are closed till next year. Are they closed over there in flamingo? Maybe if I get a day off Ill drive down there for that. How much does it burn you a trip?
    The Snook are still closed on the west coast until 2013 but there is plenty other species to fill the box with.

Nice, those are some good looking fish.
    My second (wife)... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).

Nice snook.....were y'all fishing arties or bait?

Quote Originally Posted by dtobias View Post
    Nice snook.....were y'all fishing arties or bait?
    The damn things are picky man. They are really munching on Pilchards and Pinfish. I have caught a few on gold Spoons and Gulp!

Nice fish!

Great looking fish , nice work all around !!