An introduction and some help.

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An introduction and some help.

Hello All,

Avid flyfisherman from Utah, mostly a river and stillwater trout fisherman, spend most of my time in Wyoming on the Green River, I am not a rookie to saltwater but an amatuer for sure. I have fished Bones' and Permit in Belize, Mexico and the Keys'. Have thrown to various other saltwater species in Costa Rica and the Dominian Republic...but I love Florida. I am a police officer in Utah and hopefully moving to Florida in a few years when I retire, I drink beer and smoke fine cigars.

Now for the help part, I will be down in West Palm Beach starting the middle of next month, staying at the Ocean Point Marriott which looks like it sits right on the inlet to Lake Worth/Peanut Island, then over to Bonita Springs for a few days at a hotel that sits on Estero Bay. Wondering about the beach fishing in West Palm and fishing the inlet. It looks like I may be in town when the mullet are running? Just wondering what flies to bring down, I am bringing my 7/8 and 9/18 wt. rods to fish the beach and inlet, hopefully for Snook and Jacks.

Also does anyone know about Estero Bay? Any wade fishing for Trout and Reds? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Remo

P.S if anyone ever heads out this way I am more than happy to help. Few trout pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic334192.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	44043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0014 (600 x 450).jpg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	44044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4056 (600 x 400).jpg 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	44045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd12 (600 x 450).jpg 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	44046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd12.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	44047

Nice Trout picture's. I like white Spun deer hair fly's ( White Hackle for the tail & no flash ) for the Mullet run Also popper's & Slidder's.

Thanks Dino, so fishing from the beach going to be ok come Sept.?

YES

Another question, what do you think about leaders? and shock tippet? 20, 30, 40# flouro?

Hey remo, I will be there at Ocean Point Marriott, second week of September. It is a great place!!! fishing, for me has never been that good. I always seem to early, or late for the mullet run. I have caught a few Snook, and some Cudas. I hooked a Tarpon, in the inlet around 80#, on a white jig. Have seen 100+ pounder in the surf, the day I was leaving, think it was in June, back when Huricane Rita came through. have been there 3 times. The locals seem to fish 2, or 3 AM at the inlet, and catch Snook, and Tarpon. I have not tried that early yet. When will you be there?
    https://sites.google.com/site/thejonboatadvantage/

I will be there on the 16th of Sept. for that week then over to Bonita Springs. 3 a.m is probably out for me..lol Sounds like the local's are fishing for food, me just catch and release.

Nope, us locals that like to catch and release are die hard and fish all night long. You should really hook up with someone when you are down here to fish the dock lights at night. It is an awesome experience. That scenery in the background of your pictures looks aweful birdy. I may be able to get you out one night in exchange for some bird hunting out there. Just kidding about the stipulations. Give me a shout when it gets closer and we will see what we can do.

Also, Capt. Dino who replied to your post is an awesome guide in the area.

Thanks for the info Jeff, lots of birds up there, it is Seedskadee Wildlife Refuge...ducks, geese, upland and big game and big trout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast