Hotel in Boca Grande, Captivia or Sanibel
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Hotel in Boca Grande, Captivia or Sanibel

I know this is not fly fishing related but fly fisherman travel. I am looking for your guys thoughts on places to stay in SW Florida. I have been to Marco and Naples which are still a possibility also but was thinking Sanibel, Boca or Captivia. This will be a family trip with an almost 3 year old. Some fishing will be done but not the primary reason for the trip. My only requirement would be walking access to the beach and a pool to wear the kid out.

I have found Useppa Island, Sunset Beach Resort, Casa Ybel, South Seas Resort, Shell Island Beach Club, Tarpon Lodge.

Any thoughts?

Jay

I just got back last week from Tween Waters in Captiva and had a good time. Plenty of other kids at the pool and the beach is right there. Good food and bar on site. Fishing on the beach wasn't too hot but I did get into a bunch of ladyfish the last morning to at least bend the rod some.
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice

I just got back from the castaways in Sanibel. Nice little place. Nothing fancy but you have access to the dock, there is a ramp with boat slips, and the fishing at blind pass was pretty good.

Casa Ybel, South Seas, Shell Island and Sunset Beach will each provide you with the walking access to the beach and each has at least 1 pool. Casa Ybel and South Seas are the largest. Shell Island is the smallest and Sunset Beach somewhere in between. Of the options you mention the Sanibel and Captiva resorts will give you more variety of dining options closest to the resorts. Tarpon Lodge, is a great little place but it doesn't have the "beach like" feel that the Sanibel/Captiva resorts do. Useppa is also very nice but since it is an island only accessible by boat it can be a logistical challenge and offers less dining or entertainment options for the family. I can't recall if Useppa has a beach or not. Hope this helps.

South Seas occupies a nice piece of real estate. If wife and kid are to be happy, (and of the places you've mentioned) it'd get my vote.
    Good snook on the beach, too. Casa Ybel, nice, too.

Might consider Longboat Key Club in Sarasota a little further north. Great beach and close to St Armands circle for dining and shopping for the wife.

Thanks Bill and dmerryfield. I have it narrowed down to South Seas and the Waldorf in Naples. Bringing the boat to Captivia seems easier and less hectic than Naples.

Good call on the Longboat Key Club we have stayed there 4 or 5 times and I have a nice little snook and tarpon hole there.

Jason

Banned
    Boca is more of a condo rental kind of place.

You might consider Lovers Key Resort. It's across Big Carlos Pass from Ft Myers Beach. The rest of the island is state park. Great beaches. Great fishing from the shoreline or in the back waters of Estero Bay. State record snook was caught there.

Rooms are nicer than South Seas and much more reasonable. http://www.loverskey.com/

fltsfshr