Beach Bait/Fish
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Thread: Beach Bait/Fish

Beach Bait/Fish

Hey, whats up guys? Every few months i spend the weekend at an apt my family has in Hutchinson Island. I usually put a post asking how the bite is off the beach and if there is bait.

If anybody would like to provide some information, i would greatly appreciate it.

I usually will bring a cast net and get some mullet...just dont know if they are running on the beach or not.

Thanks,

Dan

a sure bet to action is to catch croakers on small hooks with shrimp. fish them flatlined with 50lb flourocarbon and a 6/0 circle hook. then let the snook do the work, they will find you. chances are if you are in a rock bottom area there is a school of croakers and not far behind is a school of snook waiting for a croaker snack. early mornings, top water plug action, later in the day the croaker trick works well and evenings the wind tends to pick up so it makes it hard to fish.

There have been Bonito busting bait in the surf lately. Don't be surprised to see something with a silver color rolling out there either....

how am I catching these croakers? Cast net? Sabiki?

I know you said small hook with shrimp....can I just use a pompano rig and put shrimp on it? Or just put some 15lb fluoro with a 1/0 hook and shrimp?

Quote Originally Posted by FS Trey View Post
    There have been Bonito busting bait in the surf lately. Don't be surprised to see something with a silver color rolling out there either....
    While i normally hate catching bonito (b/c i think its a blackfin till i see those squiggly lines), i actually wouldnt mind catching one on the beach....would be a good fight

Senior Member ShallowExpectations's Avatar
    Should certainly take the time to catch them from the beach. Especially if you have a 10wt flyrod. Like he said though... keep a keen eye out for a poonopotamus