Keys state park for tent camping

Florida Sportsman

Keys state park for tent camping

I wish to visit the keys and tent camp with my family and friends
    I understand reservations need to be made very very
    Early. Which parks would offer the best setting to tent camp? Loooking for shade and
    Smooth flat ground. Seems many parks have the sites filled with shell or rock/limestone?
    How is Bahia Honda and or Jjohn Pennekamp be for tenting? Any preferred sites would be appreciated. thank you Tomm
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland

I do camp out, so I'm not much help...but I do see lots of camper at Sunshine Key (not a State Park). The Keys are not well known for smooth, flat or shady spots.

Rob
    Largest Private Charter Vessel in the Lower Keys
    www.easyridercharterskeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.

Bahai Honda is probably the nicest for tent camping, if you can get a spot. Last time I checked it was about $50 to camp a night, what a sham...
    Long key is nice and there is usually availability or at least more than bh, but its right off the highway unless you can get one of the few primitive sites that are wooded.
    Never been to jp to camp.
    There are several places that you can poach free spots to tent camp, but that kind of info doesn't usually come freely, at least not on the internet.
    Another nice place is fiesta key, we camped there in the winter, can't recall much shade, but its worth checking out.
    "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
    "An it harm none, do as ye will."
    "The mind is everything. What you think you become."

x2 on Bahia Honda. An air matress is absolutely required.

Bahia Honda or Long Key. Shade will always be hard to find. Some sand at Long Key. (full details here: http://www.floridastateparks.org/sta...ht/camping.cfm)

Bahia Honda Fee Schedule

Admission Fees:

$8.00* per vehicle. Limit 2-8 people per vehicle.

$2.00* Pedestrians, bicyclists, extra passengers, passengers in vehicle with holder of Annual Individual Entrance Pass.

$4.00* Single-occupant vehicle or motorcycle.

* Plus $.50 per person Monroe County Surcharge.

Boat Ramp Fee:

$10.00 per boat.

Camping Fees:

$36.00 per night, plus tax. Includes water and electricity.

Florida residents who are 65 years of age or older or who hold a social security disability award certificate or a 100 percent disability award certificate from the Federal Government are permitted to receive a 50 percent discount on current base campsite fees. Proof of eligibility

Cabin Rental:

$120.00 per night, plus tax, May 1 - October 31.

$160.00 per night, plus tax, November 1 - April 30.

Pavilion Rental Fees:
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.

I camped at Sunshine all my life. Did some stays at Knights camp ground and this past mini season we did Big pine Fishing Lodge. Big Pine was awesome! Not much for a web site but I would recommend it. Shade and shell rock!

I have done them all. B Honda is my favorite, but all are better than private campgrounds. Bring metal tent stakes, not plastic. Be forewarned.

I'll second Big Pine Fishing Lodge. If you can't score at Bahia Honda, that's where I'd head to.

Long Key State Park. Right on the beach oceanside. Been there and enjoyed it. Stayed once accross the street at the KOA during a holiday and was the worse trip ever. People packed on top of people. You could hear your neighbors having sex, farting ect.. Steer clear if you want peace and quite.