Siesta Key Day #7 & #8

Florida Sportsman

In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(

Siesta Key Day #7 & #8

Didn't get the yak out yesterday, spent the day with a birthday boy and doing what he wanted to do. Needless to say, it wasn't fishing, but it's all good, it was his day. We however did spend the morning at the Mote Aquarium, pretty cool place, the kids liked the Manetee's and sea turtles. The big shark tank did allow me a chance to show them what I had been catching when I go out though.

Yesterday evening my oldest wanted to go fishing, so we caught some white bait and started tossing it out toward the second sandbar. The water was a little rough though. He was using live bait I was using a silver spoon. I caught something and handed him the rod to reeling and whatever it was shook off about 8ft from us. A couple more casts and we decided to call it a night.

Day #8
    Went out this afternoon for about an hour with small white bait and I hooked a few pinfish and a larger sardine/pilchard. Put one out free lined and the other under a float. The pilchard made a mess of the float, so I took the float off and just free lined him too and started paddling straight out. Got a decent size hit, reel screaming for about 10 seconds, went to set the hook and popped the hook out of it mouth whatever it was.

Paddled back in to see what was happening shore side and they were catching Spanish out in front. Tried a couple of lures, but didn't get any hits on them, too much bait in the water. Saw a couple schools of snook cruising under the schools of bait, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Plan on meeting up with a couple from the forum at Blackburn Point for some night time snook fishing, looking forward to that and will let you know how that goes.

In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(
    Fished last night until about 11p at the bridge, was really slow until the tide started running and the lights came on, caught about a 26 inch snook and a 20 inch on a DOA Terror Eyz. Not a lot of bait in the water, heck I tried to sabiki some and only caught a catfish! One of the guys I was with caught a nice trout, pushing 25 inches, which was huge for a trout. I threw a lot of different things last night, DOA shrimp, topwater Rapala, glass minnow (caught one on this but he tossed the hook), white paddle tail, green glitter paddle tail, but unless you have grass shrimp, they didn't care. But it was fun to watch them come up and explode on the top of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevfishin View Post
    Fished last night until about 11p at the bridge, was really slow until the tide started running and the lights came on, caught about a 26 inch snook and a 20 inch on a DOA Terror Eyz. Not a lot of bait in the water, heck I tried to sabiki some and only caught a catfish! One of the guys I was with caught a nice trout, pushing 25 inches, which was huge for a trout. I threw a lot of different things last night, DOA shrimp, topwater Rapala, glass minnow (caught one on this but he tossed the hook), white paddle tail, green glitter paddle tail, but unless you have grass shrimp, they didn't care. But it was fun to watch them come up and explode on the top of the water.
    Yea man that was fun last night!!

Tight lines from Srq
    iPhone 4s

jeevy
    i'm def going there again on fri, and maybe before that, and when I go i'm taking live shrimp.