Siesta Key Day #10

Florida Sportsman

In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(

Siesta Key Day #10

Ok, it was the last day fishing for me, as I'm typing this from home at 3am :(. However, I was able to get one last trip in before I left and it was quite busy. The plan was to go at 6am, but when I woke up, there was a storm just off the coast, so I went back to bed.

Woke back up at 9ish and it was just overcast and no lightening. Finally got out to the waters edge around 10am and the waves had started to pick up a little bit. Went out with my oldest again for one last shot at a shark or tarpon. Once again, my son was the king of bait catching, he pulled up pinfish, blue runners (6 at one time on a sabiki is quite a fight!), catfish, and a couple of large white baits. I thought they were pilchards, but they look more like scaled sardines. Anyways, put several pins and bluerunners in the bait bucket and sent a pin and a bluerunner out as we trolled. I've come to realize that the bluerunners were too big, so I tossed him back along with his brother and just went with the pins. We had 4 great runs and landed 2 Blacktips in the 3-4 foot range. The two we did not land seemed bigger and didn't want to surface at all.

What was equally entertaining for us was the school of tarpon that came through. Must have been 10-15 of them feeding on the surface, just couldn't figure out what they were feeding on. They put on a show for us, one jumped clear out of the water and flipped. I was tossing them pins one free floating and one under a float, but they didn't want anything to do with them. The Blacktips were more than happy to eat them though. Had a tarpon surface 5ft from the one under the float and nothing. About a minute later it took off and I looked up to see two Blacktips, one with the bait and the other circling. Just goes to show that you might have the right place and time, but without the right bait, it means nothing!

Next year, I might actually get a chance to fish Phillippi Creek! All in all it was a great week and a half of fishing and can't wait till next year....

Early departure???

great reads

Hey Man Nice Post Throughout your stay maybe we can fish again next summer or next trip! Phillipie creek is best during the winter season!