Sunday 07/22

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Sunday 07/22

Sunday 07/22

Started the day at 20 miles catching bait. No white bait whatsoever, just grunts. We loaded up with 20 or so grunts and caught 3 barracudas and a bonito at the bait spot. We headed east and put out a bonito lure since we could only make 13 knots do to the swells being close together. We caught one nice bonito on the way to our first spot. Our first spot in 110 feet yeilded only a few triggers and a large dusky shark that ate a grunt. Normally this spot is loaded with AJs and big red snapper. A big chunk of bonito layed on the bottom for 20 minutes without a nibble. Not sure what is going on with the bottom fish. Never seen so little action. The wind died to nothing and it got unbearably hot. We pulled anchor and headed east to 130 feet where we caught one just legal cobia, some almaco jacks, and AJs to 30 pounds. We also caught another big dusky shark about 7ft long. The wind was still calm and we could only take the heat for an hour before we headed in. We stopped again at 120 feet and dropped a grunt down for a few minutes. As soon as it hit the bottom I was hooked up to what I thought was a red snapper. It turned out to be a beautiful 10.5 pound mangrove.

A couple more drifts with just one AJ to show for it, we headed in. My brother in law was about half dead from fighting those two sharks and AJ's in the heat.

Man that's a big mangrove and you picked up and a Cobe too. Pretty good day if you ask me. Also those AJ's are good on the smoker. Wish we had that kind of luck on Saturday.

We fished 21 bottom on Saturday. We stopped and loaded up on poggies on the beach. First stop at 120 ft we caught 8 nice red snapper 8 - 14 pounds. We also had a nice red grouper 26 lbs. The snaps were on fire. We had to move....Next stop another red grouper and more snapper. A few more stops and we had 10 trgiggers, some sea bass and other assorted stuff. A few stops on the way in and the sharks were every where. Overall pretty slow. The current was ripping

26 pound red grouper, thats a monster. Not sure why we did not catch any red snapper. Usually the spots I fished are loaded with them. Maybe someone hit the spots hard on Saturday.

I didn't know they make mangroves that big. good job.

Ponte Vedra (Palm Valley) & Cedar Key, FL
    Nice report. Sounds like a pretty good day.
    Brian