Morning of Reds and a MONSTER Trout - Page 5

Florida Sportsman

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmanJR View Post
    Well, I did send you a pm and would have told you privately.....and since you *said* you want to learn ....Here it is.
    Look at your right hand placement in pictures 2 3 and 4 ( right behind the pectorals)....look at the amount of upward pressure you are applying (weight of the fish) to the heart area in addition to the swim bladder and other internals. With a fish this size you are actually better to have your hand closer to the mouth (under the gill area*but not inside*) since it has more muscle and bone and she cannot breath out of the water anyway.

The best way is what I call " The Wickstrom" for FS founder Karl Wickstrom who was commenting on FS T.V. on release technique ...and it is best is to not remove a large fish from the water...and I've been doing it that way for a while now and it is actually harder to do and I've had some "mishaps" learning the best way with broken leaders and hooks in my fingers (thank God for pinched down barbs).

As far as keeping a limit of slot fish...conservation (spawning potential) wise...a limit of slot trout removed is infinately better than one true big breeder since as a % few ever make that size...and a female of that size is definately over 8 years old (probaly 10 or more) and produces well in excess of 1 million eggs per cycle where a 4 year old female( 15 inches) only produces about 15,000 eggs.
    Another thing to take into account is water temperature. A trout that fights hard will have a big Lactic acid build up that can be very detrimental...coupled with low disolved O2(warm water) and fish handling stress...It can have a fish swim off what you think is strong...only to succomb or be easy prey for a porpoise later.
    So, taking into account the low number of trout that make that size and the spawning potential differences....keep small trout to eat and release the big girls boatside....if you want to see the best chance at abundant fisheries....and don't we all want that?

PS...yes, I know I wasted alot of time reading up on this subject.
    I've actually been meaning to PM you back but hadn't had the chance yet, but I'm glad you responded on here so everyone can get that lesson, and not just myself. I appreciate all the advice and will be sure to put it to good use. Tight lines.
    Fishing to me is not just about the catch, it's about the lifestyle as a whole...

I am all for conserving our fish populations so that our children have the ability to enjoy the same resources or better ones that we have enjoyed. But, any extreme is bad. It is EXTREMELY annoying to read a great post with a trophy fish and have some extremists bash it or force their "education" down our throats. How many dead oversized redfish and trout has anyone here seen that they can truly say were killed due to improper handling by the angler?? If you guys really want to protect these big fish maybe you should stop fishing and take up bird watching. Every time you make a cast you run the risk of catching a big fish that you may stress out and could end up dying. So STOP fishing!! Kudos to you Shallow for the report and great pics. Also, you are obviously and educated and responsible angler despite what some may think.

GO NOLES!!!!

You need not use the information...it was put there for those who wish to use it.

PS...as far as how many die due to stress....they have also studied that...and I could tell you what the numbers are...but I don't want you to get too much education...you may tell us all to stop fishing again...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Quote Originally Posted by shallowminded22 View Post
    I've actually been meaning to PM you back but hadn't had the chance yet, but I'm glad you responded on here so everyone can get that lesson, and not just myself. I appreciate all the advice and will be sure to put it to good use. Tight lines.
    And just so you know....do I think your fish died?... I have no real idea....nobody does.
    What I do know is she had alot better shot at life than the 5 lb fish that I "properly" released yesterday never having taken her out of the water...only to watch a pod of 5 porpoises home in on her.

And the only lesson we could possibly learn here? Do the best possible job you can for the fish...NAH....

I better stop fishing...That's the real lesson....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Quote Originally Posted by slyluna View Post
    How many dead oversized redfish and trout has anyone here seen that they can truly say were killed due to improper handling by the angler??
    Just one more tiny bit of "education"....Redfish and Trout are Apples and Oranges....Redfish are extreemly durable....Trout are much more delicate.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

As far as keeping a limit of slot fish...conservation (spawning potential) wise...a limit of slot trout removed is infinately better than one true big breeder since as a % few ever make that size...and a female of that size is definately over 8 years old (probaly 10 or more) and produces well in excess of 1 million eggs per cycle where a 4 year old female( 15 inches) only produces about 15,000 eggs.
    Another thing to take into account is water temperature. A trout that fights hard will have a big Lactic acid build up that can be very detrimental...coupled with low disolved O2(warm water) and fish handling stress...It can have a fish swim off what you think is strong...only to succomb or be easy prey for a porpoise later.
    So, taking into account the low number of trout that make that size and the spawning potential differences....keep small trout to eat and release the big girls boatside....if you want to see the best chance at abundant fisheries....and don't we all want that?

PS...yes, I know I wasted alot of time reading up on this subject.
    now you're just showing off. I have a question though, for you. I was under the impression that slot redfish and slot seatrout were sexually mature fish and that those fish are capable to breed. Also I have read before that fish years 2-4 are the most abundant and therefore the most productive group and account for over half of the eggs released. I agree that the bigger ones reproduce at an exponentially higher rate but shouldn't we just practice more conservation as a whole. I can see a huge rebound in the seatrout over the past 15 years and I for one would be for smaller limits and not keeping a fish over the slot.

andddddddddddddddd the percentage of possibility that I post again anytime soon slowly diminishes. C'mon guys, somehow a nice fishing report turned into a fish handling seminar. It's sad that a FISHING, I repear FISHING, FORUM can't even stay calm. Now I know why so many great anglers left this site...

one more time... FISHING FORUM. Y'all are taking all the fun out of FISHING
    Fishing to me is not just about the catch, it's about the lifestyle as a whole...

Quote Originally Posted by BMargio View Post
    now you're just showing off. I have a question though, for you. I was under the impression that slot redfish and slot seatrout were sexually mature fish and that those fish are capable to breed. Also I have read before that fish years 2-4 are the most abundant and therefore the most productive group and account for over half of the eggs released. I agree that the bigger ones reproduce at an exponentially higher rate but shouldn't we just practice more conservation as a whole. I can see a huge rebound in the seatrout over the past 15 years and I for one would be for smaller limits and not keeping a fish over the slot.
    Hey, I don't write this stuff...I only read it and parrot it back.

As for the Redfish....the "slot" is set to protect "breeders" since it is thought they reach sexual maturity (in FL) at 26 inches + - ...that is thought to be mid way between year 2 and 3 for growth.
    So, for Redfish your idea would be valid....

For trout...a 2 year old is only 10 inches....a year 3 fish is approx 12 inches...
    with a year 4 (15) being first to reach "slot".....and a "top slot"(20) trout is nearly 6 years old. The fish larger than slot are thought (by some) to be the most successful breeders due to various factors.

As far as conservation...On the inshore front I catch enough flounder to not eat anything but them and the occaisional Pompano I catch late winter/early spring.
    I think (just my opinion) that they had it right by allowing a limited take of the less productive (egg production) trout.
    What I don't agree with is the recent relaxation of the commercial...and to a much lesser extent the recreational rules and regs.

I feel that *ANY* ecosystem is just one catastrophy away from a big collapse....as evidenced by the disappearance of seagrass from over 30 miles of the IR lagoon system.
    We have no way of knowing how this is going to be long term....a missing year class's of inshore fish?...or...a decades worth?
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

duckmanJR

pm sent

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast