Morning of Reds and a MONSTER Trout - Page 4

Florida Sportsman

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nice trout and pics are very nice..thanks for sharing!! I have been lucky enough to catch a few tailing trout in the ML and NIRL area.. but not that big!!

Quote Originally Posted by DuPont View Post
    I am guilty as well; if you look back at my old posts I have posted a pic hanging a stud from grips and would still be doing to this day without the advice of someone much smarter than me,
    I'm only a little smarter....but alot older....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Quote Originally Posted by DuPont View Post
    I am guilty as well; if you look back at my old posts I have posted a pic hanging a stud from grips and would still be doing to this day without the advice of someone much smarter than me,
    I appreciate the response and like I said, no intentions to stir up trouble. Trust me I cringe when I see guys take pictures with a fish hanging from a boga and that's why we really never do it, and in this case did it as quick as humanly possible and only to weigh it before putting the hand back under the belly to properly support the fish. I just think the forums would be much better if people pointed out the good of each report and kept things that bug them to themselves. I'm not directing that at you but just to everybody in general. And trust me it's not just on this forum, it's prevalent in all of them. I just hate seeing good resources like this diminish because of things that can be simply fixed.

I know we are young and some might think we don't know what we're doing, but my buddy and I are both not only skilled anglers, but are both very educated and know the harms of handling a fish improperly, hence why we rarely ever weigh a fish. All in all, like I said, I love learning new things and that's what every day is about. Tight lines and if you ever see us on the water feel free to come say hello, we're rather friendly guys.
    Fishing to me is not just about the catch, it's about the lifestyle as a whole...

Could you please hold the fish further away from your body. ;)

What's the harm in educating folks on proper fish handling skills? I'll be honest and say I grew up holding big ole reds the wrong way cause my dad used to do it that way.

Because of this forum and other resources I've learned the proper way to hold fish I plan on releasing and quite honestly I try to keep them in the water as much as possible.

People who whine about getting heat for not handling fish the right way can go pound sand IMHO.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250

Quote Originally Posted by O.SEA.D View Post
    What's the harm in educating folks on proper fish handling skills? I'll be honest and say I grew up holding big ole reds the wrong way cause my dad used to do it that way.

Because of this forum and other resources I've learned the proper way to hold fish I plan on releasing and quite honestly I try to keep them in the water as much as possible.

People who whine about getting heat for not handling fish the right way can go pound sand IMHO.
    I don't understand where all this is coming from? I though there were only two guys on the boat, not all of you, and if they weighed it real fast and put it back in the water then what is the harm? So how does everyone on this forum know exactly what happened out there? Now we all know it isn't the best to hang a fish but for a once in a lifetime catch to do something rather quickly and get it into the water so it can swim off strongly isn't a big deal to me. We have a larger problem of people keeping too many, out of slot, oversize, and undersize fish than with weighing of huge catches. I think everyone here draws too many conclusions. I see way more posters on here than people actually catching fish so it seems to be jealousy to me. Get to know the anglers you bash before you start to type. BTW the only one whining on here were the folks who didn't catch the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by O.SEA.D View Post

Never said there was any harm in learning, actually I said that I thoroughly enjoy learning. Just didn't learn anything I didn't already know here. You obviously didn't read everything I wrote, because if you did you would've realized we are very aware of proper handling techniques. In all honesty, people say you shouldn't weigh a fish of this size because it is harmful, but yet it's ok to handle smaller fish improperly and no one cares? Shouldn't the smaller fish be the ones that should have even more attention to handling them well to allow them to one day be this size? I'd rather weigh a large fish like this than go out and keep my limit of trout close to 20" which could've been released to grow up to this size. But you don't see anybody telling them to throw back their catch!
    Fishing to me is not just about the catch, it's about the lifestyle as a whole...

Quote Originally Posted by BMargio View Post
    I don't understand where all this is coming from? I though there were only two guys on the boat, not all of you, and if they weighed it real fast and put it back in the water then what is the harm? So how does everyone on this forum know exactly what happened out there? Now we all know it isn't the best to hang a fish but for a once in a lifetime catch to do something rather quickly and get it into the water so it can swim off strongly isn't a big deal to me. We have a larger problem of people keeping too many, out of slot, oversize, and undersize fish than with weighing of huge catches. I think everyone here draws too many conclusions. I see way more posters on here than people actually catching fish so it seems to be jealousy to me. Get to know the anglers you bash before you start to type. BTW the only one whining on here were the folks who didn't catch the fish.
    Couldn't agree more Margio. I'd much rather see some more posts of pics with great fish in them, minus the negative comments. Is that too much to ask for?

Either way, I'll keep catching my fish, handling them properly, and will be more than happy to share them with everyone! In hopes that it will get others out on the water to do it too!

Well, I did send you a pm and would have told you privately.....and since you *said* you want to learn ....Here it is.
    Look at your right hand placement in pictures 2 3 and 4 ( right behind the pectorals)....look at the amount of upward pressure you are applying (weight of the fish) to the heart area in addition to the swim bladder and other internals. With a fish this size you are actually better to have your hand closer to the mouth (under the gill area*but not inside*) since it has more muscle and bone and she cannot breath out of the water anyway.

The best way is what I call " The Wickstrom" for FS founder Karl Wickstrom who was commenting on FS T.V. on release technique ...and it is best is to not remove a large fish from the water...and I've been doing it that way for a while now and it is actually harder to do and I've had some "mishaps" learning the best way with broken leaders and hooks in my fingers (thank God for pinched down barbs).

As far as keeping a limit of slot fish...conservation (spawning potential) wise...a limit of slot trout removed is infinately better than one true big breeder since as a % few ever make that size...and a female of that size is definately over 8 years old (probaly 10 or more) and produces well in excess of 1 million eggs per cycle where a 4 year old female( 15 inches) only produces about 15,000 eggs.
    Another thing to take into account is water temperature. A trout that fights hard will have a big Lactic acid build up that can be very detrimental...coupled with low disolved O2(warm water) and fish handling stress...It can have a fish swim off what you think is strong...only to succomb or be easy prey for a porpoise later.
    So, taking into account the low number of trout that make that size and the spawning potential differences....keep small trout to eat and release the big girls boatside....if you want to see the best chance at abundant fisheries....and don't we all want that?

PS...yes, I know I wasted alot of time reading up on this subject.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast