New Smyrna inshore

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Smyrna inshore

Paddled around this morning for a bit to see what I could find. First fish of the day was a very small mangrove. Tried to eat a finger mullet about half his size. Honestly didn't even know I had hooked him. Saw some action up near the mangroves so I paddled over and tossed some shrimp. After catching a few giant trash fish I decided I had to move. Found a little canal that had some good water moving through it. As I neared it I could hear bait being crashed. I paddled in and found some decent size reds chasing mullet all over the place. Of course I was out of mullet though . Paddled on a bit and found a shallow place to get out and toss the net to get some more. Had a hard hit and run but I lost it trying to turn on the damn camera. Toss out another and this time I get what I think is a small grouper. Not very familiar with them honestly. Then it was on to a jack crevalle and then finally a nice 22" red.

Everything was let go to fight another day.
    Oh, and the water is disgusting still

So, what is it?

and the red
    Last edited by NSByak; 08-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.

baby goliath

Quote Originally Posted by winderbill View Post
    baby goliath
    Yeah thats kind of what I thought after a quick google image search. Thanks for the confirmation.

Nice fish man! I've never caught a goliath up here thats a neat catch.

Quote Originally Posted by jumboshrimp View Post
    Nice fish man! I've never caught a goliath up here thats a neat catch.
    Thanks man. I had no idea what it was at first (hence the lippers on such a small little fish lol). I didn't have any idea they were roaming the waters around there.

Oh my!....You took a Goliath all the way out of the water....Holy smokes.......J/K

Good job on getting out there.

I was out down here in Sebastian and the water is foo-ked bad.....but the poor fish are still living in it...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

haha afraid itd take a finger with it? yeah you better watch it though the forum police will be here any minute. I've gotta say I'm curious as to where that canal was, was the water deep? I've only ever caught gags but thats just been around docks.

Whoops, didn't know they should be removed. He was release unharmed and healthy (video if necessary )
    I do need to make sure I'm educated on that kinda stuff for the future though. Certainly wasn't expecting a grouper today

Awsome lil Goliath! I never seen one up here either.. Shipyard canal area or callalisa creek area?

Quote Originally Posted by BigwaveDave View Post
    Awsome lil Goliath! I never seen one up here either.. Shipyard canal area or callalisa creek area?
    in and around the three bridges/spruce creek area on US1 actually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast