Sebastian Area 9-02

Florida Sportsman

Sebastian Area 9-02

Tough sledding today. Plan was to put in at Grant at dark thirty and hit a nearby flat for some topwater action, but mainly to castnet silver mullet for livebaiting offshore. Three casts in and the skitterwalk gets popped by a healthy little 22" trout.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sebastian River Redfish 004.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	48307
    We are surrounded by mullet so I break out the cast net and load the wells with 8"-10" silver mullet and we are set for livebaiting offshore. Decide to keep working the flat with topwater plugs before hitting the ocean. Some good fish were there, apparently not hungry. We had a couple explode on the plug, but completely miss as if on purpose. Follow up casts with suspending baits and live baits drew no response. So we headed for the forcasted 2-3' @ 12 seconds Atlantic. The 2-3 was correct, but at 5 second intervals instead of 12. I wasn't looking forward to slogging it out to Bethel in my 24' bay boat. So we slow trolled off Spanish House for 30 minutes to no avail and then headed south of the inlet. Huge pods of glass minnows off Blue Roof, but the only predators around were bonita. I was ready to throw in the towel and head for the house, but my buddy Jeff wanted to fish inshore despite the Labor Day weekend boat traffic. We found some peace and quite in the Sebastian River and even though it was late morning we started catching fish. Everything was small, but we had fun catching them (mangrove snappers, snook, black drum, redfish, and juvenile barracuda) with light tackle on artificials. Had lunch and knocked back a couple of cold ones at Hiram's before heading home.

Name:	Sebastian River Redfish 005.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	48310
    Kept a 16" black drum and a couple of slot redfish for the table.

Name:	Sebastian River Redfish 001.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	48311

Name:	Sebastian River Redfish 002.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	48312
    Last edited by jmsnookman; 09-02-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Delicious!

Professional Wedding Videographer https://www.facebook.com/AndrewPlanetaCinematography

good job!

Looks like fun! Nice trout and reds!

Nice.