Red Fish massacre at Mayport

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red Fish massacre at Mayport

Took an old friend out today to catch some inlet Reds. Caught some Pogies headed for the rocks. Wasn't long before we had our first of the day in the boat. Caught a few more and the bite pretty much turned off. Decided to ride out the tide change and it paid off. Timmy gets his PB 37" Red. Caught a few more and the inlet got pretty rough so we called it a day. Got a few Reds out there Friday as well. Only took 1 pic and took some video footage. Video didn't turn out very well so left it out. Another nice day on the water with a good friend.

Wow, a nice day of fishing I'd say.

Wow those are some impressive fish. What're the dark spots on the back half of the first one?

It's just his spot pattern. Sometimes they'll just look like that.

you've been wearing out those rocks! nice work man

Nice work
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com

Quote Originally Posted by unincom View Post
    Wow those are some impressive fish. What're the dark spots on the back half of the first one?
    Just more spots. Not all reds have only one spot near the tail. Sorry, I don't know the scientific answer.
    "Reel Minions"

Quote Originally Posted by R_Salt View Post
    Sorry, I don't know the scientific answer.
    Spotus Maximus

How do you hook those pogeys before you drop um back down? through the lips?

I hook mine through the side of the nose. Been getting a lot of questions about the rigs we use so ill include some info on my rig as well.

I build my own rigs. Don't use the store bought dropper rigs. Too much terminal tackle makes them not look natural. I hand tie all the line connections. The entire rig is done in 60# flourocarbon leader. Don't use Pyramid sinkers. I run 6oz tear drop weights. 2 reasons, for one, they don't snag as easily and also, a pyramid will act as a plainer in fast moving current. When you get large fish on, you need any advantage you can get. Use about a 24" leader and 7/0 circle hook. the same rig will catch a tarpon, only difference is ill go with a 4 foot leader and the leader will be 100lbs. Thanks for the replies by the way.

Later on today ill include a short video of the rig i use to display some of the finer points that i can't otherwise explain without illustration. Ill post the vid on this same thread.

Great report and nice fish my friend. Have to say you are a breathe of fresh air to all these forums. One of the most versatile fishermen I've seen and you never hesitate to share info. Keep em comin bro!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast