Running out to nine mile in a bay boat? Good or bad idea?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Running out to nine mile in a bay boat? Good or bad idea?

My friend and I are really itchin for some bigger fish action other than what the jetties are producing. So we're contemplating running out to nine mile reef from mayport. He's got a 18.5 foot sea fox with a 115 on the back. What's this boat capable of as far as " offshore" type fishing? I know 30 miles out is WAY out of the question, but what's everyone's thought on this. *I know there's a lot of sea fox haters but his boat is a 2005 and pretty solid so far and I know all runs are " weather dependant "*

I've done it in a Key West 1720 Sportsman. It's not about the boat. It's about the weather. Pick your day right and it's no problem.
    "Reel Minions"

I've been to 9 Mile, PG, PM, MR, and the Nassau Live Bottom in my Boston Whaler Montauk 17 with a 90 Merc. I've never felt unsafe, but I always check the weather before I head out. Look at present condition, and what is going to happen later in the day. A SE sea breeze in the afternoon is a good thing - it blows the thunderstorms inland, and you get to come in with a following sea instead of beating your teeth out heading into a west wind and a severe thunderstorm.

I have Verizon, and have a cell signal at all of the places I mentioned. A VHF radio with a high antenna is essential. Listen to Captain George, Dennis Young, and others on Channel 6. They talk about sea conditions, and what they can see on their radar.

It was kinda rough yesterday morning and a 22' bay boat ran through the jetties quite well and ran the ocean good... I'm older now but I used to go to SS in a 16' Critchfield tri-hull with a 70 evinrude on it.

It's about the weather weather or not.

I used to go out to 25 miles is a 17ft sailfish on days that were 2ft or less, 5-10 mph winds. It is all about the wind for me. Make sure you have a radio and your boat is running good. 1 bilge pump running good and a backup. Bring a good anchor too! After you make it out there, will come back on here and ask how to stay on the structure. Drop your anchor at least 100 ft away into the current and drift back letting out line until your bottom finder marks up. If you missed it and are catching sharks, look at your compass. If it is reading 220 degrees, pull the anchor drive over the spot at a 220 heading and do it again and you'll nail it. To try and get it first drop notice what direction other boats are anchored. For bottom fishing anchoring is most important. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by troutdiggler View Post
    I used to go out to 25 miles is a 17ft sailfish on days that were 2ft or less, 5-10 mph winds. It is all about the wind for me. Make sure you have a radio and your boat is running good. 1 bilge pump running good and a backup. Bring a good anchor too! After you make it out there, will come back on here and ask how to stay on the structure. Drop your anchor at least 100 ft away into the current and drift back letting out line until your bottom finder marks up. If you missed it and are catching sharks, look at your compass. If it is reading 220 degrees, pull the anchor drive over the spot at a 220 heading and do it again and you'll nail it. To try and get it first drop notice what direction other boats are anchored. For bottom fishing anchoring is most important. My .02
    that anchor heading is some good stuff there. I think thats the key to ending some frustration.
    It makes simple sense.
    thanx bud
    SV2100

went 58 miles out in 22 ft bay boat saturday. have been 70 miles on the right day its all about the weather always keep noaa weather tuned in. have also been 40 miles out in a 18 ft sea boss oh ya be safe

Like many have said... Its all about the weather... Then its about having enough brains to call it quits when you should. The sea can change quickly out there and can be good for several miles, turn snotty quickly for a few miles and then be fine again especially with winds out of the west. I've been out in a buddies 17' Key West with no problems, then again several of us from this forum were out in my boat on a dead calm morning only to encounter 4-6 ft white caps 12 miles out. Took a couple over the bow and decided it was time to turn back.

Know when to say when...

Quote Originally Posted by R_Salt View Post
    I've done it in a Key West 1720 Sportsman. It's not about the boat. It's about the weather. Pick your day right and it's no problem.
    Exactly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast