Local Boater Option

Florida Sportsman

Local Boater Option

I got my local boater option card today... process was super easy.

I filled out the app on Wed night and scheduled an appt online for Friday (today) at 11am. Went to CBP at the port in Riviera Beach at 10:50am. Fingerprints and photo and I was out at 11:02am.

Some quick takeways:

- I registered my boat also as the master. Take your passport and boat registration...
    - You have 24 hours from arrival to call in.
    - If you have passengers that do not have the local boater option, they have to report in person. If they do not, the violator and you as the master, may get fined. The officer suggested that the master accompanies any non-local boater option participants to ensure they do report. Now I have to go back with the wife and kids and get their own cards...

Full read below but I'll copy up here and highlight the penalty section......

Failure to report can result in civil penalties as defined in Title 19, United States Code, Section 1436 to include a penalty of $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for each subsequent violation with the conveyance subject to seizure and forfeiture. In addition to being liable for a civil penalty, a master who intentionally commits a violation under subsection (a) of the above stated section, upon conviction, is liable for a fine of not more than $2,000 or imprisonment for one year, or both.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noname.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	41580

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Dear Participant,

Thank you for voluntarily participating in the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS).

Your SVRS Number is BRXXXXXXXXXXXX

Please click the link below to confirm your e-mail address and to setup your password.

SVRS Password Setup.

Optionally you can copy the link below and paste it into your browser window.

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Application...tPassword.aspx

We would like to provide some information about Customs andBorder Protection (CBP) requirements for pleasure boaters and the SVRS.

The master of a pleasure boat arriving from foreign isrequired to contact CBP via telephone immediately upon arrival (pursuant to 19CFR 4.2 and 8 CFR 235.1) and make an oral declaration for themselves and allpassengers on the boat concerning any goods purchased or acquired while abroad(19 CFR 148.11 and 148.12). The master is also required to report in-person atthe nearest port-of-entry (POE) within 24 hours to submit the necessarydocumentation to verify identity and lawful immigration status (pursuant to 8USC 1321 and 1323). For more detailed information about the CBP requirementsfor pleasure boaters, please visit our website at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl...boats/svrs.xml.

The SVRS will allow you as a participant, undercertain circumstances, to telephonically report the arrival of yourvessel, make customs declarations, and submit any necessary additionalinformation and may be cleared without a face-to-face inspection. Please notethat the immigration status and citizenship must be valid and participants mustpossess appropriate valid immigration and identity documents at all times.

Any passengers who are onboard an arriving vessel and havenot previously elected to participate in the SVRS program, will be required toreport to the appropriate POE for a face-to-face inspection. Although theparticipating master will not be required to report with the non-participant,the master is legally responsible for ensuring the non-participants presentthemselves to CBP for a face-to-face inspection and failure to comply with thisrequirement may be subject to penalties.

During future arrivals, the master must contact CBPimmediately upon arrival and provide their SVRS number and maybe asked to provide other identifying information. Based on the informationprovided, CBP will verify that the master and occupants of the vessel are SVRSparticipants and determine whether the master's report satisfies inspectionrequirements or whether further inspection is necessary. CBP reserves the rightto board and inspect any small pleasure vessel and its occupants arriving fromany foreign port or place and will conduct random inspections of SVRSparticipants.

Reporting Requirements for Pleasure Boat Operators

When a private vessel arrives at a port of entry, the Master of the vessel musttelephonically report arrival immediately to U.S. Customs and Border Protection(CBP). Additionally, the Master and all passengers must physically presentthemselves for an in-person inspection.

If the vessel is U.S.flagged or is a foreign-flag vessel that does not qualify for a cruising license, and is 30 feet or longerin length, the owner must obtain a user fee decal, which is available for $27.50. More information on how to obtain a user fee decal is available at: www.cbp.gov under the tab labeled "Travel".

If a foreign flagged vessel will be sailing to a number of ports during a stay in the United States, it may be eligible for a cruising license. This license exempts pleasure boats of certain countries from having to undergo formal entry and clearance procedures at all but the first port of entry. If your vessel is eligible, please request the cruising license at your first port of entry.

There are certain entry requirements of which boatersshould be particularly aware. One is the requirement to obtain approval from ATF - in advance - for the entry of all firearms onboard the vessel. If you donot have the approved ATF Form 6 for firearms, CBP will detain them.

Another requirement is to declare currency and negotiablemonetary instruments, if you have more than $10,000 onboard. Failure to do socould result in the seizure of the money.

Finally, CBP now strictly enforces the requirement todeclare all foodstuffs onboard, in particular, fresh fruits and vegetables andmeat products. While many items may be admissible, it is essential that they bedeclared so that a CBP officer can inspect them to make sure they are free ofdisease and/or pests. Failure to declare could result in a $1,000 fine.

CBP will make every attempt to accommodate large regattagroups arriving from foreign with multiple vessels. Please contact the nearestCBP Port of Entry in advance to request on site clearance.

Phone in arrivals:

Masters, crew, and passengers must report their arrivalimmediately to CBP upon entering the United States.

Upon completion of phoning in their arrival, boaters willbe directed to the nearest port of entry to present themselves and any passengersfor a face-to-face interview within 24 hours.

Failure to Report

Failure to report can result incivil penalties as defined in Title 19, United States Code, Section 1436 toinclude a penalty of $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for each subsequentviolation with the conveyance subject to seizure and forfeiture. In addition tobeing liable for a civil penalty, and master who intentionally commits aviolation under subsection (a) of the above stated section, upon conviction, isliable for a fine of not more than $2,000 or imprisonment for one year, orboth.

These revised private boatingprocedures enhance CBP's ability to carry out the twin goals of preventingterrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the United States, while at the same time facilitating legitimate travel and trade.

For general questions regardingany CBP issues please contact 1-877-CBP-5511 or visit our website, www.cbp.gov

HAVE A SAFE AND ENJOYABLE BOATING SEASON!

Get the Latest Checked~Out Videos: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...er=thepaulboat

Heads up on the 24 hr to check in. I thought the same thing a couple of years ago the first time I used it. I left the boat and called from the house a few hours later and the agent threatened to fine me. I got out of it claiming I didn't know and the instructions were confusing. I was told to call from the boat immediately upon return...no exceptions.

You can also input all your travel itinerary "float plan" online and call an automated 800 number when you get back home. You can register online. I couldn't get it to work but I know others who have.
    https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/

Put the # to call and you LBO on the back page of your passport. The questions they ask you are stupid when you check back in. Do you have any bombs,guns or immigrants? LOL what a joke.

Thx for the heads up...

I know about the automated sys but someone here filed a float plan and was met by FWC at the dock upon arrival.
    I doubt they "talk" to each other but who knows... no need to give more info than necessary...

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Heads up on the 24 hr to check in. I thought the same thing a couple of years ago the first time I used it. I left the boat and called from the house a few hours later and the agent threatened to fine me. I got out of it claiming I didn't know and the instructions were confusing. I was told to call from the boat immediately upon return...no exceptions.

You can also input all your travel itinerary "float plan" online and call an automated 800 number when you get back home. You can register online. I couldn't get it to work but I know others who have.
    https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/

Get the Latest Checked~Out Videos: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...er=thepaulboat

Done. The agent suggested I do that too...

Quote Originally Posted by GT Fish View Post
    Put the # to call and you LBO on the back page of your passport. The questions they ask you are stupid when you check back in. Do you have any bombs,guns or immigrants? LOL what a joke.

Sent from my Droid on "THIS side"

x2 on the 24 hour rule - I got ripped on a few weeks ago for calling in the next morning, thinking I had 24 hours. You must call in immediately upon touching any land on this side. The 24-hour rule is for customs in-person visit after you call in and if you don't have the LBO. Also, if you have the LBO, file the float plan SVRS online and reference it, you won't need to provide all the detail info (SSNs, etc.) on any LBO passengers during the call-in, assuming they are entered in the float plan.

Actually you are required to call prior to touching land and before any persons step off your vessel. I got ripped last year for pulling my boat out of the water. The US Customs guy was at the ramp and questioned me. I advised him I call on the way home as all occupants have a LBO. He quickly corrected me and advised me to never let it happen again. Ran our passports and LBO's and was good to go.

I went in this morning for a 10:00am appointment. Left at 11:15 and I was the first person to go in for fingerprinting. They were training a new guy and it took a half hour just for prints. Of course, it was all my fault for not being able to roll my fingers the correct way,distribute the right amount of pressure, and keep in in the box. Only comic relief was when they wanted to print my right middle finger which I happily complied. Suffice it to say the red head officer has a dry sense of humor.
    Oh yeah, do not forget to take in your appointment number . That don't like that very much.

I got the LBO a month or two ago and filed my float plan online. Upon returning, a quick phone call with the float plan number was all i needed to clear. During my "interview" I was told that I was NOT responsible for any crew members who did not have LBO numbers and did not check in to customs/immigration.

The red headed guy could not be any dryer, that is for sure. I just got mine last week, and my girlfriend commented n him. My only response is welcome to customs. I deal with them all over the country with work and I swear they train them to do that, or it is a prerequisite for the job.
    Really glad to see this post and get a clue what others have experienced with it.

Thanks guys, will be using it for the first time next week.