Beach Sharkin 7/13/12

Florida Sportsman

Beach Sharkin 7/13/12

I've hit the beach one already for sharks this summer, but unfortunately I got skunked on my first trip. I went up to Sanibel at the end of Tarpon Bay road, and although I have big reels with a lot of line, I was a little disappointed with how big the sandbar was. I had to paddle forever just to get into 6-7 feet of water to drop the baits...This was after Debby though, and maybe the storm made the sandbar bigger.

I normally shark fish off the beach down closer to Bonita, so I headed back down that direction last Friday night. I set up with two of my friends Tim and Zach shortly before sunset at around 7:00pm. I personally like setting up before dark so I know where everything is and I'll generally stay until midnight-2:00am. We ran into a few stray storms right after we set up. Apparently it was going to be a long wet night. My girlfriend's two cousins Taylor and Tanner met us out there right around dark.

I already set out a spread of 5 rod-holders. I like to roll with 3 shark rods and 2 rods out soaking for big snook between the 3 shark rods. I had ladyfish, spanish mackeral, and bonita that night.

The Spread
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random 080.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	41143

Sunset

Name:	random 083.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	41144

Gotta love this one

Name:	random 085.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	41145

After Taylor and Tanner got there and we got rained on some more, one of the snook rods went off. I grabbed it out of the holder, let the circle hook do its job, and we had fish on! I had a 2in chunk of ladyfish on that rod and I figured this might be a big female snook that was sitting in the deep trough inside of the sandbar. I handed the rod off to Taylor to let him fight the fish and hopefully land the snook. The fish was peeling drag like a freight train and took off a hundred yards down the beach before we had a chance to catch up. In the heat of the moment we all went with the fish instead of staying with the rods...a mistake I won't make again. As we were fighting the fish down the beach I though "Oh shoot, the rest of the rods" and decided to run back and check on them. As I ran back I heard the clicker on the 4/0 with half a ladyfish screaming. By the time I got to it though the fish was gone, ladyfish and all. Oh well, at least I didn't lose the rod. Still, I felt like a bushleager. If I got there sooner I might have got a hook up.

Long story short, I found out pretty quick the fish I thought was a snook wasn't a snook at all. After a few minutes into that fight and watching taylor fight the fish I knew it wasn't a snook. My suspicions we're confirmed when we saw that it was a monster stingray. The biggest ray I've ever seen that close to shore on the beach. The ray was completely immovable with my snook rod. That rod in particular is a 12-20lb Star Rod Stellar Lite with a Quantum Cabo 40 and 300yds of 20lb power pro. Normally I can put some heat on a big snook with it, but not that ray. After an hour long fight the 30lb flouro broke off and left Taylor pretty disappointed.

After another 1.5 hours we had another small run on a bonita chunk, but lost the fish. Shortly thereafter, we had another hookup on the 2nd snook rod. Another ladyfish chunk got picked up, but this time it was picked up by a 4-4.5ft nurse shark. Taylor and Tanner fought the fish in and grabbed some photos with is shortly before releasing the fish.

Taylor and Nurse Shark

Name:	random 087.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	41146

Tanner and Nurse Shark

Name:	random 090.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	41147

Overall it was a slow night with not much action. I'll be going again this Friday or Saturday night though and hopefully we'll have a little more success. I'll post that report a couple days afterwards, so be on the look out!
    Last edited by CapnAhab; 07-17-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Pics Didn't Upload

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised

I gotta get out shark fishing. Its been too long

Come on out with me Friday night

God of all days

In Your holy light

Im going to do one saturday evening, Parents 24th anniversary so they're spending the weekend over in Lauderdale. Girl friends parents own a big house on sanibel and they have some kayaks. Just gonna put out a 2 rod spread, 150 and 200 lb power pro on two Okuma 50w's followed by 15' of 400lb mono to a 6ft stretch of 600lb wire onto a big ole tuna hook. Some friends are headed offshore on saturday so I'm planning on getting some cuda and leftover baits from their trip or carcasses. Im am by no means a beach fisherman, first attempt at this and hoping for some luck on my side.

Ill post up a report on sunday how my trip went.

Tight lines-- Chris
    Limited Out Fishing Team

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/Limitedoutfishingteam

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
    2006 28 Contender w/ 2013 Twin Yamaha f200 4/S (Stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by CapnAhab View Post
    Come on out with me Friday night
    I might do that. Where are you gonna be going? PM me or text me to let me know.

I'll text you. And good luck Chris! Looking forward to hearing back from you

God of all days

In Your holy light

I haven't sharked fished in too long and certainly don't have the gear for it. Let me know if you ever have room for one or two more and I'll catch some rays/jacks/ladyfish for bait to bring
    Instagram: ShallowWaterz
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/shallowwaterz

Quote Originally Posted by SWFLFisher View Post
    I haven't sharked fished in too long and certainly don't have the gear for it. Let me know if you ever have room for one or two more and I'll catch some rays/jacks/ladyfish for bait to bring
    You have a PM.

God of all days

In Your holy light