Back in Sunny (more like rainy) Southwest Florida 7/17/12

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back in Sunny (more like rainy) Southwest Florida 7/17/12

Well I finally returned from my summer job at the US Olympic Training center, and decided I'd fish whether it was rain or shine. I checked the weather on NOAA and weather.com, and was thrilled with the sight of low winds and 20% chance of rain until 2 O'clock. Being in Colorado for such a long time though, I became used to believing the weatherman on the very few days it was supposed to rain. Of course, I realized my mistake when it began raining at 5 am on my way to pick up my friend RJ and his hair cutter Joey (that's how he was introduced to me anyways ha!).

After calling my good friend and forum member Trey (swsnookred) the day before, I decided redfish would be the target for the morning since they'd been chewing close to home recently and the tides were right. We loaded up on the usual bait for this time of year (small threads and white bait), and started our search for the bronzed beauties who always change colors as the river water begins to mix with the surrounding waters.

As the storms continued to get worse, the fishing day seemed like it was going to be a miserable one. I forgot my rain jacket, of course, so being soaked the entire day was inevitable. We started off the day with two or three mackeral, a bunch of ladyfish, jacks, and a solid trout. Now I'm all about getting the rod bent, but these were not the fish I was looking for. After hitting up multiple spots for redfish, I was tired of the rain and figured the change in temperature just caused severe lock jaw. I figured since snook fishing has been my specialty this summer, I switched gears and decided to put my friends on some snook.

We had a decent incoming tide and only half a well full of small baits, but we were determined to slam some BIG snook nonetheless. Now of course the weather and tides weren't going to be in our favor today, since nothing had been going our way. We had the wind blowing one direction and the tide flowing the other direction making my initial plan to powerpole and chum a complete failure. We could see multiple fish busting up our chummers, but had no chance at actually making a cast to them. I decided to lift the powerpole and trolling motor the entire mangrove line until we hooked some fish.

We started off with a couple jacks and some baby snook, which is always a good sign. After twenty or thirty minutes, a real big snook comes flying out of the water blowing up one of our baits. Originally I thought RJ had hooked the fish, and then I realized Joey was hooked up in the back while RJ's line had created a birds nest at the top of Joey's rod. Fortunately he was still able to reel, so RJ and Joey walked up and down the boat basically fighting the snook together. Once she was worn out enough, I netted her and snapped a couple quick pics before the release. We decided to catch a few snapper on our way home, and then called it a day shortly after.
    She went over 35" on the board:

All in all it was a crappy day turned good with smiles and high fives all around. It was nice to be back on the water!
    Tight lines and God bless!
    -Ty
    Instagram: ShallowWaterz
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/shallowwaterz

Nice snook and great report!!

I can't ever remember a post of yours that didn't have a mongo snook in it. Beautiful fish.

Sorry if I missed a post that explained it, but what did you do at the USOT Center? Is that the facility in Manitou/Colorado Springs, CO.?

Well I used to love redfishing, but I've become quite the snook slayer I suppose. I just love everything from the initial hit, to the jumps, line zinging off the drag, and landing them in a big ole landing net.
    My official title was a tour ambassador. I gave two to three tours a day at the visitor center and on the complex in Colorado Springs. Definitely an awesome job, and a very cool experience. Saw Michael Phelps and other big name athletes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SWFLFisher View Post
    Well I used to love redfishing, but I've become quite the snook slayer I suppose. I just love everything from the initial hit, to the jumps, line zinging off the drag, and landing them in a big ole landing net.
    My official title was a tour ambassador. I gave two to three tours a day at the visitor center and on the complex in Colorado Springs. Definitely an awesome job, and a very cool experience. Saw Michael Phelps and other big name athletes all the time.
    I agree. Redfish are great, but there's just nothing like snook fishing IMHO. You get major speed and strength w/out the 1 hour + battles you may get with big tarpon.

What a great opportunity that USOT gig is. I have family that live in Manitou Springs, and spent a lot of time there as a kid/teenager. I saw a hockey game at the Broadmoor Arena between the U.S.S.R and Czechoslovokia in 1972. There was an incredible amount of hostility between the two countries as a result of the Soviet tank invasion during the Prague Spring of 1968. Still have the game program from it.

That whole area, with the USOT facilities, Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, skiing, etc., is really great. But not as great as snook fishing in Florida.

nice report

I sure couldve used that snook last Saturday....
    For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen

Demarzac- My aunt has been living there for 20 years or so, and I've always loved the area. I took the job to get a better feel for the area in case I decide to live there in the future. It was an awesome time, but I decided saltwater is where I belong. Not much can beat saltwater fishing in my mind.

That's pretty funny! We actually caught the snook at the same spot Kyle caught his fish to win it last weekend! I swear he doesn't even need to be out fishing for months to win tournaments. Wish I had that luck!

Solid snook bro! Ya, Trey is the man btw!

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised

Nice fish ty! I thought the background looked pretty familiar, almost looks like the same fish haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast