Yankee Capt Tortugas July 13-15
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankee Capt Tortugas July 13-15

I headed out on another 3 day trip with the Yankee Capt this past weekend. I was pleased to see several familiar faces had already arrived. It's nice to fish with friends! The light load (15 people I think) gave us a ton of room. We left the dock at ten and started fishing just after sun up Friday morning. My first bait down brought up a mutton! The bite didn't last though and only a few fish were caught on the first stop. Seemed like that was the theme for the entire first half of the trip. A steady pick but nothing that really fired off.
    We fished 120ft the first day and night. Gulf stream currents kept us from going out deeper so you had to weed thru the ever present yellowtails but if you kept putting down good baits you would be rewarded with muttons and groupers. A couple really nice blacks were caught as well as several red grouper and red hinds. A really impressive Nassau Grouper was caught and quickly realesed as well as a couple Jewfish.
    On Saturday the wind picked up a bit and the bite slowed WAY down. We fished pretty shallow the last night fishing patch reefs in 60 ft. A few decent mangroves were caught and few muttons. I would rather fish deep but one thing is for certain, those muttons fight like mad in that shallow water! Pretty fun stuff when they would bite.
    Overall it was a fun trip with a lot of good laughs aided by practical jokes and sleep deprivation. The bite could've been a bit better but no one went home empty handed. I believe we had 8 or nine totes. I ended up with 22 mutts 3 red grouper and a few grovers.
    A big thanks to Captains Greg and Lyndon, mates Josh and Chad, greenhorn mate Jake, and galley chef Joe for another good time.
    051.jpg
    Cool looking little yellowfin grouper053.jpg
    Josh the Jolly Farmer helps me show off my mutton and my cool shades.
    054.jpg
    Last edited by Snaphappy; 07-16-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Nice! I may just have to get down there and get out in the next several months

Nice job!
    Team Penny-Less

Like us on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/TeamPennyLess

I'm scheduled for the 8/24 3 day mutton marthon. Right now it has a real light load with lots of spots open.

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years
    Where did you get those sun glasses...:full
    Capt Bill

Thanks for sharing a report. Nice fish and nice haul! Gotto love the glasses, LOL

The Yankee Capts always work hard to get you on the fish.

Great post. We were having dinner aT Hogfish when you guys were loading up. It was hard to get in the truck, knowing the boat was heading out in an hour.

Amazing the pick ends up into a tidy haul. Must be nice to have the lion share.

As usual it was a pleasure having you on board Dudley.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Greg

Nice catching there. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast