Tarpon and Bull Reds - Mayport Jetties - Page 5

Florida Sportsman

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    "You can either have a Jacksonville mentality on this… which is 90% of this board… or you can have a global mentality which is the 10% that don’t contribute to this board anymore."

Well, at least now we know your stripes. I, for one, have a rational mentality on this. If we need a paramedic, we'll give you a buzz. You really need to quit trying to project your sensitivites on grown men. Are you a high school teacher perhaps? When you hook that shrimp or mud minnow on your jig, do you feel queasy? Is bait any different from a tarpon or a billfish? Perhaps in your rational it is. Most of us aren't trying to rape the resources and destroy species. Most of us are decent people who like to have a little fun by fishing. We brag about nice fish and take a picture or two, if it taste good and is within the myriad of laws that we have to live by, we'll take it home and enjoy the heck out of it. We'll thank the big man upstairs for providing us with such wondrous sustenance and entertainment and then go on with our lives. We don't need to be told how to coddle a fish, thank you very much. I'm going out there this week to see if those hook thieves dare to try and steal my hooks. I may even take a picture. Lon

Nice report bro. Your right it's no secret, thanks for sharing.. This thread was awesome the first page then it got real BORING after that. Sorry you had to deal with all the girly BS on here. Keep the reports coming!

Nice catch! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Underslot View Post
    yep... all of these fish "swam away fine" as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HhHx...eature=related

To each their own but don’t fool yourself that those fish you push off your gunnel are fine. Trust me, I’ve held billfish after a 30 min fight for 10 min boat side and they were STILL tired and grey. Personally I don’t care what you do but if you actually care enough to revive a fish make sure you’re taking every step to make sure reviving them even matters. There is a HUGE push against light line record attempts in the billfish community because it has been proven that long fights regardless of “reviving” kill fish… using circle hooks and watching a fish “swim” away is not conservation. You can either have a Jacksonville mentality on this… which is 90% of this board… or you can have a global mentality which is the 10% that don’t contribute to this board anymore.

I was stoked for your catch till I saw it in the boat just like I HATE Mexican mates that pull billfish over the covering boards… wreaks havoc on the animal.

Really?!?! A certain "mentality" because we're from Jax or you hate Mexicans.... Hmmmm.... I am pondering which makes you sound more ignorant. Or maybe its your delusion that the last fish you "set free" after torturing it to the top didn't get ate by a shark or flipper on its way back to its cozy little home...

I thought the PETA rally was last month?

Come on now..... Leave the teachers outta this Lon!!! Lol....

Man that first tarpon pic with you're buddy in the bow of the boat is awesome! You guys look STOKED! those are some great pics of you first tarpon, you need to get those framed. Killin' it.
    -Jon

I am 100% against lip gaffing a suction feeder..there is just no reason for it...quit being a girl and grab a glove..

With that said congrats on your first tarpon! Sorry it pooped on you..my first tarpon pooped all over me to.

Meh, it was a first time experience. Had to learn quite a bit from it unfortunately. Wasn't gonna risk losing a first Tarpon, that's for damn sure. No need for that lip gaff on future Poon. On a side note, the fish that did get gaffed won't lose suction over the pin hole in the bottom jaw. I'm fairly positive of this.

Wow, I just got back from out of town and read the this write up. First off, awesome fish and report. Always very detailed and knowledged. It sucks that drama some how always finds its way into the posts but hey, Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff and fish another day. You da man!

Great catch!!! Super Jealous. I also don't have much issue with the lip gaff, I just prefer to grab them with my hands. They usually leave cool scabs on your hands for about a week that remind you of how awesome you are and how much fun you had...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast