Tarpon and Bull Reds - Mayport Jetties - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Can't have a forum without at least a little bit of drama lol. Boattronics sent me a pm to give a heads up on the Tarpon out of water thing. Mans just trying to help me out. I have no quarrels with that. Its no secret where the Tarpon are right now. Any inlet, pogie pods, Vilano bridge, Red Tops, and pretty much any major estuary mouth on the down going between Mill Cove and the Mayport Inlet

Find the birds diving, you found a good sign that Tarpon are around.

Quote Originally Posted by Morocco_madness View Post
    Oh wasn't ignoring you Badfish. Forgot to answer the question. The first was caught on a single dropper rig on the bottom. 6oz tear drop weight and an 8/0 circle hook. The second was caught on top water with a free lined pogie. Both rigs were using 6' 100lb flouro leader. The first poon was actually caught on a medium action Star rod with a 3000 series Pen battle. We were actually after Reds when she hit. I used the correct hardware for the second (8' Shimano Terramar Ultra heavy and 6000 series Pen Battle, 40lb braid)
    Thanks for sharing, your reports are always detailed and I for one appreciate it. Keep tearing 'em up bro!!

Do some research on taking fish out of the water... legal or not you most likely killed that Tarpon, especially after an hour long fight.

Oh dear lord... they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Underslot View Post
    Do some research on taking fish out of the water... legal or not you most likely killed that Tarpon, especially after an hour long fight.
    and what if he did?? BFD, aint nothin but an overgrown shiner, and probably one of the most prolific fish in saltwater. and, even if it did survive, a shark probably got an easy meal(so what,sharks gotta eat!)...anytime anyone posts a pic with any misuse of fish-holding political corectness, the anal proper-fish-holding nazis come out of the woodwork and ruin a perfectly good thread...it's no wonder so many good fisherman no longer post on this forum...nuff said!

Are you the one who once said that your wife says you sound like an a-hole all the time??!! I'm not lying, look back at your history below.

Arun.

My wife says I sound like an a-hole all the time…

Awesome report dude!

Winderbill and Arun, thanks fellas. I probably wont be taking anymore Tarpon completely out of the water. Only did because they were our first Tarpon. Doubt all that many people would be much different in this case.
    Its all good though. They were plenty lively after a short revival. I do appreciate the support and thanks for the kind replies.

Just remember to support the belly of that 30" "breeder" trout when droppin him into the grease! Nice catches again bro, hands down the most versatile fisherman I know. Can't wait to get one in the yak!

Quote Originally Posted by arunram View Post
    Are you the one who once said that your wife says you sound like an a-hole all the time??!! I'm not lying, look back at your history below.

Arun.
    Thanks Arun, I just spilt my lunch onto my computer!

Anyway, Underslots statement is not very true. These are very hearty fish, and survive countless captures if handled with a tad bit of respect. But dont take my word on it, look into the dna tagging program yourself. These kits are availible at West Marine and many tackle shops. If you do a little research, you will find out that these fish are often caught quite a few times throughout thier life span, and many of these fish live well over 50 years. We have begun sampling these fish, and one my bud Luis caught here was also caught in south florida, and was over 50 years old. (They return info on your fish after you send in the sample) How many times do you think he was caught that he wasnt sampled? This isnt a goliath grouper, and dude said quite a few times it was his first tarpon! Some folks just need to lighten up a bit.

Keep up the great reports please! Some of us dont get to fish much and these reports are almost as good as being there.... for a minute or two anyways.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast