Tarpon and Bull Reds - Mayport Jetties

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Tarpon and Bull Reds - Mayport Jetties

Spent the morning with good company, chasing the ever elusive Tarpon. Found a huge Pogie pod and loaded up on a days worth of bait. Spot locked and started fishing.
    Was maybe 5 minutes and i was on my PB Red fish(40"). A few minutes later and my partner is being spooled by something large. A few amazing jumps and its clear hes hooked a Tarpon. 1 hour later, and he lands it after some serious chasing with the boat. Snap some pics and hes released unharmed. Next is my turn. Same story, different Tarpon lol. Beaten and bruised, we head back to try and land a few more Reds. Got 1 more giant as well as 2 very big Nurse sharks and we had to call it a day. We were definitely exhausted. Got some nice firsts out of the way. Awesome day.
    Also, we didn't know about the rule saying not to take a Tarpon out of the water. All fish were released healthy.

Huge smiles for huge fish! Sending you a pm now......
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

You can take Tarpon out of the water for pics. Congrats on a great day!!!

My husband and I had this argument... what IS the rule for tarpon? I told him that you can't take them out of the water. He says I'm wrong. Settle this?

how much weight are you using and what size hooks?

The only fish you cant take out of the water are those fish listed on the prohibited species list; such as Goliath grouper

I just looked it up on the FWC website & the way I read it is that you can take them out of the water as long as you return them to the same area you took them out.

Ok i have the official word on the matter of removing Tarpon from the water to take pics. It is prohibited in Boca Grande. You can take them from the water if you want to. It is not illegal. Thanks for the heads up Wallhanger.

Judging by the pics, you are both now 'fish huggers'. Slimy arent they

My god yes... awful damn mess to say the least. You can tell they are the big brother to the Lady Fish because they **** on you just the same. Oh and you are right, the slime is thick and binds to everything. Not the best smelling animal either. Will that stop me from bear hugging the next one i catch, not likely

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast