doa deadly combo

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jeevy

doa deadly combo

Do these things actually work? A soft plastic under a cork? Do they actually consistently catch trout and redfish as claimed?

Yes, I found it hard to believe myself, but after catching several trout on them, I am a sold on them. I really killed them in the keys with it.

Been using them for years. Great for Trout fishing, especially with the kids. Cajun Thunder corks make most noise, but knock-off's are OK, just don't cast as far or "clack" as loud. DOA's and several knock off "shrimp" work as well, with light pink w/ sparkles working best in every situation for me, followed by gold flake, then root beer.
    No brainer for taking kids out fishing, just make sure they "reel" hard to set hook due to slack from popping cork.

jeevy
    what are the knock offs? I never saw them. And what are the cajun thunder corks? Are they the elongated corks vs. the oval ones? And if I just wanted to start with one, which color should i get? gold with sparkles to start off? Sorry for the newb questions.

I've had good luck on trout with the DOAs. The deadly combo is a clacking cork and a DOA shrimp. Use it right out of the package. I use a regular popping cork with a DOA shrimp, white or root beer. Easy to use and effective.

cajun thunder is just a brand of popping cork. quality.
    i just buy cheap popping corks, and rig my own set up with the desired leader length and shrimp. they work well. i prefer the oval corks, they sit better in the water for me.

id say for the shrimp jeevy, a gold glitter is a good way to go.

I've always had luck with the original pattern DOA, I buy the "equalizer" brand popping corks because they are cheaper in a package of 2 than the cajun thunder at BPS
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!

The trout those things catch will eat just about anything. i would much prefer just using a jighead and a plastic, cover more water and catch more big fish and more species.

jeevy
    so it sounds like its primarily for small trout? As for the jig head and the plastic, i have never been able to consistently hook fish with that, i may get pleanty of bites, but not many actual hook ups. And is it just better to build your own rigs than buy the pre-rigged deadly combo?

I have caught tons of trout on a doa deadly combo, I know everyone has there preference but I have had really good luck and always keep one rigged at the ready on my yak at all times. Those trout usually for me range from 15-24 or so.
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast