Port Canaveral Offshore 07-08-12

Florida Sportsman

Senior Member ACME Ventures Fishing's Avatar

Beautiful weather keeps holding, and were fishing until it gets bad. Despite trolling
    bringing little good results in the last few weeks, my guest wanted to take the chance
    and experiance the fishing technique, even if it meant Cuda's and False Albicore as
    the only catch's. With a few first time offshore guest, it would be their first offshore
    fish caught, and done while trolling, it really did not matter as much what kind of
    fish it was.

We found a really nice weedline, with a pretty clean edge, and lots of bait, so we
    set lines and followed. It was really slow, but finally a few fish came, and it was
    no surprise what they were, Cuna and Tuny's. This did give them some fish to fight,
    and with the smoker in mind, these fish were put in the icebox. Though gamey
    tasting, when smoked, they taste about like most other smoked fish, with the Cuda
    quite similar to King, and the Tuny more like Smoked Salmon.

With hours spent trolling, we decided to let the young guest fish, so to an artifical
    reef we headed. This was a good Porgy site, and we were able to get everyone
    catching some more for the icebox.

It seems that when the weather is poor, the fish are biting, and the nice weather balances
    out with a slower bite....guess thats only fitting.

Captain Henry
    ACME Ventures Fishing
    602 Glen Cheek Dr., Cape Canaveral Fl
    321-794-7955
    Deep Sea Fishing Port Canaveral
    Wile e Coyote

Yes...but 'cuda can give you ciguatera poisoning...I'll take kingfish for the smoker.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Senior Member ACME Ventures Fishing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmanJR View Post
    Yes...but 'cuda can give you ciguatera poisoning...I'll take kingfish for the smoker.
    Cigutara is a toxin that can be found in most larger preditory reef fish, including Barracuda, Snapper Grouper, AJ's, etc.
    Most people do not realize that those fish are as likely to have the toxin as Cuda. The Toxin is typically found in the fish
    in the head and intestines, as well as any roe, as such, filleting the fish and disposing of the remaining body, eliminates
    the high risk portion, and again that is true of many reef fish. This also is much more typical of lower lattitudes, below the
    Bahamas.

The main reason the Toxin is more problematic for the Carribean is the common practice of using the whole fish, including
    the head in making fish stock. Since the Toxin is not affected by heat, the toxin contaminates anything the fish stock comes
    in contact with. So whether its Cuda, Snapper, Grouper or any other preditory reef fish, I filet the fish, and feed the crabs
    with the rest, or make chum out of it!

Looks like an absolutely gorgeous day to be out. Slick flat. I agree with tyour statement about hard fishing on the pretty days. I used to call the 3-5 forcasts, 3 to fish.

looks like you had a few god days of catching fish,especially that grouper a couple days ago.