First snook, Finally!

Florida Sportsman

First snook, Finally!

Been trying for a while now to get a snook on fly. Tied up a bunch of white flies for Sanibel a couple years ago but was greeted by filthy water after the first tropical storm hit that August. Cleaned up the last day we were there. Had to leave. No snook.
    Hit the surf and around Port Canaveral and had more than plenty my share of lady fish, jacks etc. but no snook.
    Went to Anna Maria last Sunday night and Monday morning found the surf clean and calm. A lot of beach goers though. About 10:30 I see shadows moving through some stirred up mud where swimmers just waded out and two snook moved into the clean water and I start pitching my white fly to them. No interest, switched a couple flies out and still no interest. Finally one turns and follows a menhaden pattern only to snub it. All the while some joker is throwing shells trying to skip them and right on the snooks heads (he doesn't see them) but they dont spook.
    Finally put on a brown gotcha type pattern and one sucked it right in. Yahooooo!
    Not big but the ice is finally broken. After releasing it the fish swim right back to his budy and they still hung around a while. I called the shell skipper over and had him take the photo. Bottom shot shows the brown fly that worked over the unsuccessful white ones.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0565.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	40489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7123538.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	40490
    Last edited by saltybum; 07-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Great job getting the bite, nice looking fish!!! :full

Nice fish, among beach goers no less. That brown fly reminds me of a pattern called a myakka minnow. Great freshwater pattern, apparently great for snook as well.

Way to keep at it! Paydirt!

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2013 Ankona Native SUV 17

Pretty work man

Nice Fish! about the shell throwing...It goes to tell you how much noise is on that beach environment, I haven't fish a shrimp pattern yet, how do you know when to throw a shrimp?

Changing subjects, I need some gloves like yours, my hand could get very exposed some times (I rescreen patios).

Felipe.

congrats for sure Conditions look perfect too, nice gentile swell, fairly clean water, beautiful...

Not being critical, just food for thought here. Maybe it's just the picture with no frame of reference, but those baitfish flies may be a bit too large for what they're typically eating in the trough around these parts. Unless you're seeing them hitting schools of white bait, finger mullet etc, I would try smaller flies. Something between 1.75"-2.5" on a #2 or #4 hook is closer to the little mojarra, minnows and what not they're eating in the wash. Not that we don't have some mid to upper and over slot fish on the beaches here that would crush those larger flies, we do, but the size you caught is way more common.

Along those lines, I'd be more inclined to think they turned away on those baitfish flies because they weren't what they were expecting to see there. The brown fly is noticeably shorter than the others too and may have had more to do with the take than the color. These beach snook are stalkers more so than opportunistic strikers like we see when they're staged somewhere waiting for the current to bring a variety of prey to them. I really believe these beach fish kinda' know what they're expecting to find as opposed to wandering down the beach looking for anything that may be edible as they encounter it. So a match the hatch approach, at least in terms of size, seems to matter more in this environment. Again, just something to consider next time...
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra

The smaller fly with the red head is actually 2.25" long but was completely ignored. The one with the mallard flanks got followed for 8-10 feet before turning away. I'm glad they gave me plenty of time to switch flies till I did find the right offering. By noon the clouds came in strong and it rained from 1 pm till maybe 1 am and the next morning the water was mud. Six foot of vis was reduced to six inches. Oh well, that's snook fishing.

Well done & thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Good catch. Thanks for posting.