West End Report 7/6-7/8

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

West End Report 7/6-7/8

We had a great time fishing out of Blue Marlin Cove this past weekend. It was our first trip over there so a big thank you to the forum members who gave me some great advice on planning for and fishing that area. We were focused on snappers, groupers and hogfish and worked hard to find them. Most of the muttons and strawberries and about half the hogs were caught very close to BMC. The tails and the rest of the hogs were caught a few mile North of Memory. Marvin at BMC was a great help and put in the general vicinity of the fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo2.jpg   photo1.jpg   photo3.jpg   photo4.jpg   photo6.jpg  

great haul there.

OT - is that the world's largest boat lift at your neighbors house? what the heck is it designed to lift? it is enormous.

Nice catch. We saw you guys out there. I was in the blue catamaran. Were you guys spearing the hogs or catching them on rod and reel? Also, what did you catch the muttons on?

Great trip! Happy you guys had a good time.
    Why go fishing when you can Go Catch'n?

-Edward

Also, what are the silver fish? I see at least two different species there. Is that grey snapper? I shot one with a sling, but wasn't quite sure of what it was when I got it to the surface.

Nice haul! Lots of good meat.

Gtrfred 27 - Yes, that might be the world's largest lift. It is for the 33 fountain you can see in the background. The lift is huge, but my neighbors designed and built it themselves, so that is pretty impressive.

Skinneej - We speared all of the hogs, all in 20' or less of water. Most we found in the rocky areas in about 15' between BMC and OBB. Same thing in the area North of Memory. Just looking for good bottom and jumping in. Most of the muttons we got in about 80' on the drop off in front of BMC. The biggest were caught on flatlined sardines. Some were caught on squid, sardines or cuda chunks on the bottom. How did you guys do?

Publisher
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Devil View Post
    Gtrfred 27 - Yes, that might be the world's largest lift. It is for the 33 fountain you can see in the background. The lift is huge, but my neighbors designed and built it themselves, so that is pretty impressive.

Skinneej - We speared all of the hogs, all in 20' or less of water. Most we found in the rocky areas in about 15' between BMC and OBB. Same thing in the area North of Memory. Just looking for good bottom and jumping in. Most of the muttons we got in about 80' on the drop off in front of BMC. The biggest were caught on flatlined sardines. Some were caught on squid, sardines or cuda chunks on the bottom. How did you guys do?
    Nice catching, thanks for sharing. I'll be headed over next week. I hoped to do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skinneej View Post
    Also, what are the silver fish? I see at least two different species there.
    they faded to silver/silverish, and are called black snapper, decent to eat, but have a large bloodline. You can find them pretty easily out front of BMC.

oh BTW, nice catch fellas...

The big silver fish are silver margates. I am told they are very good to eat. We shot a couple of them and caught a couple of them.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast