Beach Snook - East Coast

Florida Sportsman

Beach Snook - East Coast

Did my first beach walking on July 4th. It was pretty choppy and the shore break was all weeded up so I had low expectations for getting any shots. At 8:30am I see what looks to be a giant grouper in three feet of water. He's just hanging out and spooked on my second cast. While I'm standing there I see a snook and a school of pilchards. Hmmm. Ten minutes later I get a shot and a nice jump from a 24 inch snook. Sweet. Further down the beach I threw at 2 cruising fish... then a single that tracked my fly back to the sand. I thought the morning was over so I headed back to the car. Visibility was getting pretty good by then so I was lucky to spot a big momma snook cruising offshore. She turned into the shallows and I fired off a cast into a heavily weeded area... there was an immediate take and I set the hook on a small male that I never saw. It was maybe 22 inches and spilt out a mouth full of bait. So for 2 hrs on the beach I hooked 2 and saw 8 fish. The best part was finding about 1/2 mile stretch with bait. Hopefully fish will hold there for a few weeks. I'll post a picture if I can land one of the slobs.

Awesome Congrats! What beach were you on?
    ~~WildBill~~
    May those that love us, love us.
    And those that don’t love us,
    May God turn their hearts.
    And if he doesn’t turn their hearts,
    May he turn their ankles,
    So we’ll know them by their limping.

WS T-120 "UGLY BETTY"
    Mainstream Streak

I live in Boca so my beach fishing ranges from Deerfield to Lake Worth. You usually have to put in some time to find an area holding fish... I got lucky on Wednesday since it was the first trip of the season.