Drs Inlet Tarpon

Florida Sportsman

Drs Inlet Tarpon

Not every year do we hook one but I did yesterday and got spooled in about 10 seconds!! They balled up a massive amount of bait after the storm and were giving us an awesome show, crashing and exiting the waters surface in hot pursuit of their dinner. I just grabbed the first available rod (med action penn spinning outfit) hooked two 4 in mullet under a cork and made my cast. Upon landing they were frantically swimming and got blasted by an est 70 or so lb silver king!!! I set the hook and watched in disbelief as the fish struck out twds the middle and jumped twice n that was it...

Really cool tho to hook up from the dock!!!!

that is cool! thanks for the report!

Yeah there's been a TON of mullet feeding around my buddies dock which is on Dr.s lake right by whiteys fish camp. Where abouts did you see the poons? If you don't mind me asking...? The bite has dramatically changed around the lake it seems.

Good sign the tarpon and mullet are in. That leaves hope still for a potential shrimp run. With all of the rain we've gotten, I already lost hope.

I never targetted the tarpon but have seen them rolling in the past anywhere from Mandarin up to Downtown. If you cruise the river edges (anywhere other that the main channel) early or late in the day when the wind lays down just keep your eyer peeled for them rolling. They could be anywhere, just way easier to spot when it's calm.

Yeah I have been seeing them around the navy base and buck man. Definitely an early morning / late evening bite. Lots of bait in the river, poons usually close.